If you are using Internet Explorer, please remove blackberry.com from your compatibility view settings.

Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

JSanders
Solutions: 5,870
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: No Data Plan - Connected to Wi-Fi but No Internet Access?

You've got some confusion over how the data works on the BlackBerry device model and OS release you have installed.

RAnur wrote:

When I switch off the data service; I know, that my EDGE/2G/GPRS along with BB service will not work(But still can receive/make calls and text). However, I have left the Wi-Fi connection on and connected my phone to the network and the status shows as connected.

1. You have "WiFi Preferred" set... and any data will flow through the WiFi network.

2. If your Data Services is set to OFF, you will get no data. "Off" is off. Data Services includes Wifi data.

3. So, Mobile Network set to OFF, Data Services ON, and WiFi is connected and you'll be fine.

That's the way it works on the 9700 OSv6

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Rimoss
My Device: bold 9780
My Carrier: Etisalat- Egypt

Hey,

my problem is that my blackeberry is conneted to the wifi , but still no connection, which mean that when i try to open the web browser , it says ( we cannot reach the internet or the facebook server at this time . please try again later , my bb model is bold 9780 , and it is (v6.o.o.546 , pltaform 6.6.0.207) if this is can help !!

please feed me back , waiting your reply??

thankx

Please use plain text.
JSanders

Rimoss,

• What URL are you trying to access with the WiFi browser?
  • At your Manage Connections screen, next to the WiFi router name, do you see a white dash "  -- " or a green check mark?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
mariaradford
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: Rogers

I have a BB 9700, OS 6,  and just followed your directions to get on my home wifi as opposed to going through the mobile network.  Of course, when I call my phone now I get the answering machine.  Also, presumably if data is still 'on' emails will continue to come (so when I'm travelling I'll incur horrendous charges).  I guess I should turn off email syncing to my BB and leave data on when I'm in the US then switch to wifi if I want to use it?  That way I could get email through the browser (although I keep running out of memory when using the browser).   I buy a phone plan from my carrier (Rogers, groan) but I can't afford a data plan.  Am I on the right track?  Should I buy an unlocked iPhone??????

Please use plain text.
JSanders

mariaradford wrote:

Should I buy an unlocked iPhone??????

If that serves your needs better, sure.

Good luck.

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
mariaradford
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: Rogers

I would strongly prefer to stay with BB (been with it since 1999 and own 200 shares) but I can't find out if the newest models will solve my problems.  I need to buy an unlocked phone and get SIM cards for the places I spend time - 4 months a year in California, the rest in Canada.  I would like to use WiFi when I'm roaming without losing phone service.  I can't get any information from the website so I was hoping to find out from the support forum.  I've read the blogs on unlocking but I'm afraid to do it myself and my carrier (Rogers) frowns on it so I'm worried I won't get support if something goes wrong.  Are my requirements unreasonable or unusual?

Please use plain text.
JSanders

mariaradford wrote:

Are my requirements unreasonable or unusual?

No, your requirements are not necessarily unreasonable, it is your 'threat' to go get an unlocked iPhone that makes me wonder why you're even here. You need help, ask. You don't need to make snide (true or untrue) comments. This is a user-to-user community forum, with lots of BlackBerry fans in it. Just be kind, and you'll be fine here.

IF you spend that much time (four months) away from your home mobile provider, you need to have SIM cards for the places you spend that time. Both SIM cards will need to have BlackBerry Data Plans on them. When you arrive in the secondary location, swap the SIM and make sure your device is registered with the local provider on your account.

Unlocking is easy. Very. It is a matter of entering a lengthy numeric code on the screen of the BlackBerry. I have pasted directions below in the link in my signature. Read it and feel free to ask questions there if you need.

Rogers really doesn't care if your device is unlocked, they just don't unlock them anymore and doing so might void the warranty on a device purchased from Rogers.

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Filipos99
My Device: Blackberry Curve 8520
My Carrier: EE

Hi All, ...... 
Got similar problem here. Whenever I log in using wiFi, a message that says "The data service is not operational". The version on my one on the third line under "about" in the device option is v4.6.314 (platform 4.2.0.135)
Any help provided is hugely appreciated.
Best Regards,
FiliPos
Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z10 10.1.0.2312 / Playbook 2.1 / 8900 5.0
My Carrier: Vodafone France (SFR) & B&You

@ Filipos99
yes, you must activate the data service.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
gerrnatts
My Device: 9700
My Carrier: Globe telecom

Hi Good Sir,

I'm experiencing "almost exactly" the same problem/situation with these guys, only mine have a different twist.

Ok, so I bought this BlackBerry Bold 9700 from my friend, not sure where he got this but I'm guessing it's from USA because there's an At&t logo on the bottom part of the handset. Btw I'm from the Philippines. 

Originally, I planned to use this phone just as a back-up phone for my iPhone. (No offense, but back then I was an apple fanboy) So, I was using this blackberry for just plain texts and calls, but after a while, I LOVED my 2nd hand blackberry so much that I wanted to use all its features. I have a reliable wifi connection in my home (10mbps) and have like 10-15 devices connected to it at the same time (laptop,desktop, smartphones, tablets etc.) All are running smoothly except for my BlackBerry 9700. It appears connected to the wifi, but for some reasons, I can't browse or use the Facebook application. But here's what surprise me, when I leave home and go to a coffee shop or any establishments with a wifi hotspot. I can connect to them and also browse the internet and use Facebook app. 

So given this scenario, common sense tells me that my BlackBerry 9700 doesn't have problems connecting to a wifi (bec. it can connect to other wifi hotspot except my home), my wifi connection in my house doesn't have any problems supplying data throughout diff. devices(except my blackberry9700). So that leaves me to a conclusion that my BlackBerry9700 and my wifi connection doesn't match. And that I need to do some revisions or what not in their settings. 

Additional info: it's running on v6.0.0.668 

Wlan version : 4.3.0.97

I'm not sure but I've experienced a somewhat similar problem before, with a Portable Playstation (Sony PSP).

I can connect to my wifi but I can't browse. After reading forums, I found out I have to change my security from WPA2 Personal to a diff. one so I can use PSP's wifi capabilities. I was hoping that I can also do this to my blackberry.

And lastly, I just bought a new blackberry curve 9220 bec. yeah I love blackberry now. This one is on postpaid and has data plan. But no problems so far.

Hoping you could help me with this! Many thanks! :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.