Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
Marton81
My Device: BB Bold 9900

No Internet Mail Service Book

Hi everyone!

I am just starting on BB, so please be patient...

I have following problem:

I just bought a BB 9900, unlocked, unbranded, completely virgin. 

I wanted to setup my gmail account, which should be very easy, as the Bolds support it with 7.1 already.

So, the problem is, the service book is missing and as I have no service provider yet - I am currently using only wifi - I have no one to send me that service book.

So two questions arise:

1. How do I get that service book without a provider?

2. Why is the service book not standard on a BB?

Thanks for the efforts and help in advance!

Cheers, 

Marton

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Re: No Internet Mail Service Book

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Marton81 wrote:

1. How do I get that service book without a provider?

You don't...keep reading.

Marton81 wrote:

2. Why is the service book not standard on a BB?

Because the method of email on BB is one of many services that are proprietary to BBs, and require access to the carrier/BlackBerry hosted BIS (BlackBerry Internet Service) systems in order to use those proprietary services. Access to that system is via subscription to an adequate data plan from a carrier. Unlike other devices, pre-BB10 BBs don't have a full on-device email client and require the use of the BIS service in order to do email. And, since BIS is only for BB users, the carriers can charge a premium for a BIS-capable data account.

But...you may have more issues ahead...continue reading...

Marton81 wrote:

I just bought a BB 9900, unlocked, unbranded, completely virgin. 

In choosing a carrier, you will need to be very careful. You need to choose a carrier that has their network configured to fully support the specific 9900 model for automatic registration and delivery of Service Books. There are no carriers that I'm aware of that support all model number BBs...and trying to use a BB on a carrier network that does not natively support that specific model number can be quite challenging (most often resulting in failure, actually). So choose wisely. I use this portal as a resource for determining what specific models each carrier supports:

But do not depend on that 100%...instead, ask the candidate carriers the specific question (if their network supports the specific 990 for automatic registration and service book delivery).

Further...depending on your procurement source, you may run into other troubles. For example, if this is a used device, and the prior owner has not properly and fully complete the steps required by them to release it, then it may be impossible for you to actually obtain BIS services. Refer:

• KB05099 Steps to take before selling or after buying a previously owned BlackBerry smartphone

All in all, you may have many challenges ahead, but we are here to help as best we can.

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
Marton81
My Device: BB Bold 9900

Hi!

Thank you very much!

I will do all the steps you described.

Again thank you for the great support on this and I will keep you posted about the developments.

Cheers,
Marton

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

You are very welcome...good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code