Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
kchen419
My Device: Not Specified

No Voicemail Indicator When There's a Message??

Hey guys,

I'm new to the forum here.  I'm in need of help or some wise advice here. 

Phone History:  My Bold is about 1.5 months old (activated around January 27, 2009); purchased on Amazon where I renewed by contract.  Did not purchase insurance with AT&T 

Problem/Symptom: 

1. When someone calls and leaves a voicemail, it does not show up on voicemail indicator.  When I call in, then I will know someone left a voicemail.  Happened about 2.5-3 weeks ago when my friend told me my voicemail box was full.  Just happened out of nowhere.
  2. I discovered a second problem while the AT&T rep was troubleshooting my phone - after a hard reset (see Solution #2), the voicemail indicator icon showed up on my phone from the tests, but would not go away after I went in and deleted them (see Solution #3 on how I cleared them).  

Attempted Solution: I called AT&T and spoke with several levels of support.

1. Customer Service - They cleared by voicemail queue, but voicemail indicator did not show up. Did a soft reset but to no avail.  
  2. Level 2 support - They had me backup my stuff and do a hard reset on my phone, cleared my vmail queues, and still did not work. 
  3. Level 2 support - Test my sim card on another device and see if the vmail indicator shows or whether I can clear it when there's a voicemail.  I was able to clear it on my backup HTC S710 phone and also able to receive voicemails when I left test messages. 
  4. Level 3 support - Having gone through the above tests, AT&T tech support told me it's a device issue and they will need to replace my device through the manufacturer's one year warranty since I don't have insurance.

Conclusion thusfar:  I asked AT&T whether the replacement is a new or refurbished device and it's a refurbished device. Personally, I don't want a refurbished device, especially when my phone is only 1.5 months old and I added InvisiShield on it.  I also called BB to see if I can get direct support or feedback, but they can't help either.  They pushed me back to AT&T's consumer data support (supposed to be BB experts).  

Question:  Has anyone had this problem before with their BB?  If you have a solution to this, I really appreciate any feedback before I turn back to AT&T and try to fight for a new replacement versus a refurbished replacement phone from them.

Please help... thanks!

Cheers, 

Kalvin

Developer
sg68

Re: No Voicemail Indicator When There's a Message??

I work for a network and I know we have a tool where it clears the voicemail icon if its stuck. Doesnt erase your messages, just basically give the answerphone (vps) systema kick up the backside to clear the icon.
Elite I
jmrmb80
My Device: 9800 - OS 6.0.0.246

Can you call yourself and leave 1-2 voicemails? Afterwards check your voicemail amd delete those messages. Does the indicator still remain on the screen?
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has been helpful please consider giving them kudos by clicking the star to the left of their post.
Remember to resolve your thread by clicking Accepted Solution.
New Contributor
kchen419

That's what AT&T did but did not work. I think they've exhausted everything on their end to isolate that it's not a network issue.  I'm starting to believe it's a device issue because I get voicemails on my HTC phone and the indicator clears after I delete the messages. 
Elite I
jmrmb80
My Device: 9800 - OS 6.0.0.246

Sounds like it. Did they have you try it on another BlackBerry? When you mention they had you do a hard reset, was that removing the battery, or did they have you wipe the device?
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has been helpful please consider giving them kudos by clicking the star to the left of their post.
Remember to resolve your thread by clicking Accepted Solution.
New Contributor
kchen419

Yes, the indicator still shows up on my phone.  I called myself to test it.  AT&T called me and left test vmails.  Both did not work.  Bascially, there are two issues at hand:

1.  Original problem - I get voicemails but no indicators so I called AT&T to troubleshoot.  They left test messages, cleared my queues, soft reset, and then a hard reset (see #2 for a new problem discovered) but did not work.  

2.  Problem discovered while troubleshooting with AT&T - When they told me to do a hard reset, the indicator showed up from their test messages (4 msgs).  However, it was stuck there permanently on the phone.  Again, new test msgs did not show up even after the hard reset.  I had to put my sim in the HTC phone to clear the indicator on those 4 msgs.  On the HTC device, I am able to receive vmails after leaving test messages. The indicators showed up fine. 

New Contributor
kchen419

I will try it on my old Curve tonight.  They had me wipe everything on the phone.