Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

Contributor
2wayIMAPplease
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: O2

No two-way IMAP email reconciliation on BIS??!!

Hi to all. 

I have just purchased my Bold 9700 and as a single user am running on BIS. My purchase was based on the formidable reputation of Blackberry for easy and efficient email handling and I fully expected it to out-perform anything on the market in this respect. On setting up my IMAP accounts I was therefore shocked and very disappointed to find that sent item and read/unread email reconciliation is one-way only ie. from handset to mailbox. On reading Blackberry support information and numerous Blackberry user forums I find that there is a substantial user base who share my feelings regarding this glaring and annoying omission of full two-way IMAP email reconciliation which is the norm on other smartphones including the iphone - presumably Blackberry's main competitor. As it is my 13 year-old son who uses an iphone is now laughing at the inability of my new Blackberry to perform simple email tasks!

I have now added my signature to the web-based petition asking Blackberry to remedy the above situation as soon as possible. Whilst I am fully aware of Blackberry's corporate BES solution, in common with thousands of other single-users I do not wish to embark on this route when other providers offer full-featured IMAP support as standard.

Blackberry have a terrific product in the phone itself - the keyboard in particular sold it to me over the touch screen of the iphone - but they will go the way of the dodo if they don't respond quickly and positively to the reasonable request of BIS users for full IMAP support.

Read the forums, listen to your customers and do the decent thing, Blackberry!
Any response to the above from a Blackberry representative would be greatly appreciated.

PS my laptop now takes three times as long to warm up because I can't prevent Blackberry Desktop Manager (which also won't reconcile email) from starting with Windows every time ... am I missing something? 
Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: No two-way IMAP email reconciliation on BIS??!!

Hello and Welcome to the Forums!

In regards to your hope that RIM will see your message -- these forums are a user-to-user support channel, not a user-to-RIM conduit. As such, it is unlikely that they will see what you have written. However, if you have specific and constructive ideas for them, I have heard that they accept such via email to bbsuggestions@rim.com.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Contributor
2wayIMAPplease

Thanks for that, I'll give it a try.

I did email Blackberry at the Technical Support address given on their site and received an automated response the subject of which was ' Action Required: Please submit Blackberry inquiry via approved channel'  

The email started '

Thank you for contacting BlackBerryTechnical Support. The email you submitted has not been delivered. Please find many alternative support options below.

Having exhausted the content of the 'alternative support options' I have posted on this forum which was also recommended as an option.

I detect 'heads in the sand' and note that the world ostrich population is also declining ....

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
debonairone
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9700
My Carrier: ATA&T

First, I would like to thank you for this post... I thought I was doing something wrong when I couldn't get two way reconciliation to work... Talk about a blunder... Who dropped the ball on this...?

Anyway, to stop the Blackberry Desktop Application from automatically starting from windows, just open Start | All Programs | Startup and delete the shortcut from there...  If there isn't a shortcut and it is still running, then it is a reg entry that must be removed...  I can't recall exactly which method works, as I did it immediately and don't remember which one I used...

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
cflash
My Carrier: AT&T

If removing it from Startup as in the prior message is insufficient, you can try this:

Start --> Run --> then type "msconfig" in the Run window to get a command window.  Click on the startup tab. I think those are the applications that execute at startup.  The more you have, the longer it takes.  Most of the ones that startup up there do so not because they are vital, but so that when you first call those programs, they startup more quickly (so you wait then, rather than at startup).  If you look for Blackberry/RIM-looking software, you can uncheck the box and see if that works.  I must leave it to you to select the correct items to remove.  I think also that it leaves the items there, so after a reboot, you may be able to go back in and check the box again if you want to keep it.  Also, if you are not sure what any particular application is, you can do a Google search.  Finally, while you are in there, you can probably delete things like Adobe, which puts a number of startup scripts in there that take a while to startup but are not vital if you don't mind waiting when you first call up Adobe later in your session.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
cflash
My Carrier: AT&T

Does anyone know if the two-way reconciliation is a problem if you use Microsoft Exchange Server rather than BIS? 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
2wayIMAPplease

No blunder, no ball - just a misguided attempt to protect Blackberry Enterprise Server (BES) business. But the vast number of smaller single Blackberry-users aren't interested in an expensive corporate solution - they just want their phones to work like everyone else's.

Thank you for the tip re. startup - laptop harmony restored :-) Why didn't they just put it under the 'options' tab like any other program you don't need all the time?

I'm going to put the link to the IMAP petition on a separate post below ... for some reason it  rapidly disappeared when I did so previously. Funny - I thought we had free speech in the UK ... and was told this is a user-to-user forum .. So come on fellow users, let's get this nonsense sorted.

Note to moderator: Before you zap this and the following post, I love my Blackberry and with the exception of the issue in hand believe it to be the best email-handling phone by far ... but this IMAP failing totally pulls the rug on its sustainability in anything but the corporate marketplace. If that's RIM's plan, fine, but  it looks pretty short-sighted to me. 

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
debonairone
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9700
My Carrier: ATA&T

Are you asking about using this in a Corporate environment using BES as opposed to a personal environment using BIS???  If you are using BES, which complements the Exchange environment, then there is not a problem and all works the way we expect IMAP to work...  Now, if you use Exchange without a BES server, then I am not sure as I have never worked or experienced that particular configuration...

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,893
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

wow.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

JSanders wrote:

wow.

Indeed!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.