Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

Elite II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Not able to surf browser while connecting to Wi fi

We'll await your reply and we'll keep working with you until we get this resolved.

Take care.  :smileyhappy:

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

Contributor
My Device: Bold 9900

ok, i deleted the router's profiled form the saved wi-fi networks. turned off wireless and turned it back on. i went into "wi-fi network" and connected by inputting my modem's password. the wifi symbol appears on the upper right hand corner and a few bars are white, but there is no UMA icon showing...
Contributor

i also turned the data to "off" and when i try to browse, it says "data services are disabled. go to mobile network to enable". it never used to prompted me for that... it used to just use the wifi network.
New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9900

I have the same issue as well.  I was able to use the Wi-Fi connection to get the browser to work before (this was before I got a data plan).  After getting a Data Plan, I am unable to use Wifi at all to connect to the internet.

Any ideas?

Contributor

hi albert, this is what i discovered...
1. rogers needs to get the blackberry OS 7.1 or something. right now, they have 7.0
2. tap the top of the home screen. you'll get to "manage connections". from there, you should be able to tap the wifi on, then scroll down to "wi-fi network". find the network that you want to connect to. input any passwords as needed. add to saved wifi networks. then that should be it. once you see the little wifi symbol in the upper right hand corner with the blackberry one + the wifi network name at the top, then you hsould be good to go.

that's what i've been told... seems to work fine for me.
New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9900

Thanks!  However the issue I am having is that I was always able to connect to Wifi and use the browser on my Bold 9900 prior to getting a data plan.  Now that I do have a data plan, the wifi capability seems to have been compromised.  I have been able to connect without any issue but whenever I go to a browser, it just gives me an error message "Cannot connect to server blah blah blah, please check with your service provider".  This message started popping up after I got a data plan and not before. 

Does this mean that I have to upgrade the OS first before being able to use the Wifi?

Contributor

i'm not 100% certain but i suspect that the answer is yes. i have the same phone and the same carrier as you, albert. if i turn off the "data services", then i can't get anything even if i'm connected via wifi. it's really strange and from what i've read about (and roger's customer service seems to know nothing), it is a result o the OS 7.0. most people who don't have this probably are probably on the latest 7.1 OS. for some reason, rogers is the ONLY carrier in canada that doesn't push that 7.1 OS to its users.... i've already complained until i'm blue in the face.
My Device: 9900
My Carrier: Telenor PK

Hello Bill.....problem is same for me as well.. as i have 9900 and unable to browse anything including BB application or facebook. I have done all what you have said....in service status tag it shows "not connected" how do I get BIS......