Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

Developer
My Device: Passport / Q10
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Re: OS 6 Browser - No column view?!?

[ Edited ]

You sound pretty upset about it RichardRSmith... That's too bad.... I actually like the fact that the new browser renders most pages correctly and does well with HTML5 sites.

Anyway, you're not completely in the cold, I would say you should take a look around other BlackBerry community forums where they're a little more wild with the OS installed on the device.

Here's a good thread on the cloumn view making a return in OS 6 .480 and above:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f95/column-view-back-os-6-last-590055/

And here's a link to OS 6 .499 for your 9700, the 9780 doesn't have a build above 480 yet:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f95/blackberry-bold-9700-os-6-0-0-499-leaked-593808/

I bet you'll see a "hybrid" OS available for the 9780 soon that will include the updated browser, that should cure your ills....  Might give you a little more insight into how the OS works and all that if you'd like too!

Good luck!

EDIT:

Nevermind!  Looks like there IS a 480 version available for your 9780!

http://forums.crackberry.com/f95/leaked-9780-os-6-0-0-480-new-link-589981/

Contributor
My Device: Z10 STL100-3 S/W 10.1.0.2006 Internet Explorer 10.0.9200.16618

V6.0.0.480 with Column View V6.0.0.480 for Bold 9780 T-Mobile

[ Edited ]

I went to your Crackberry site but I don't see where I download this bogus / unbogus release V6.0.0.480.

Thank you for your assistance.  Do you have a URL Link to where I go download this V6.0.0.480 release ?

Kudos.

I would not describe any of us as upset, more like disappointed.  I am so happy for you that your OS6 version renders whatever you say it renders now.

I would, by direct contrast, way prefer to actually go to any ole site and just read what the heck is there to be read.

Something NONE of us in this thread, sir, can do whatsoever.

Give Thumbs-Up if helps you, or say Solution Accepted, or say Like.
Developer
My Device: Passport / Q10

[ Edited ]

The link for downloading it was in the first post on that thread,  here's that link in case you can't find it:

http://tinyurl.com/4cxxuw6

Hopefully this cures your browser ills!  I haven't tried it yet myself on the 9700, but everyone on the forums is saying "Finally column mode is back / fixed!"  So hopefully they're not just spouting nonsense. Smiley Happy

As for rendering things properly the biggest one for me was my bank site.  Their mobile site leaves a lot to be desired and the functionality just isn't the same as the desktop site.  The desktop site would never work correctly under OS5 and now with the newer browser it renders it just fine and I can perform all the transfers and inquiries and such.  That's the main site I was rating the rendering on.

Also as another tip, when you're scrolling down the page after it's zoomed in / in column mode, use the space bar to go down page by page.  That keeps the text from drifting to the left and the right as happens when using the trackpad to scroll.

Contributor

Thanks for tip on space bar, I like that. I still don't find COLUMN VIEW yet. Can you help ?

Not sure why we need a whole separate thread asking about Sticky thread, which seems to cover the topic - except to say the same in both threads.

This is really simple.  No idea why so many posts, none saying what to actually do.

1.  The new release is out.  Load your Desktop Manager. Tether 9780.
2.  The way you know the new release is out is, from Home Screen :
     (a) Press BB key
     (b) Press Open Tray selection
     (c) Slide Trackball to wrench Options
     (d) Press Trackball
     (e) Slide Trackball to Device
     (f) Press Trackball
     (g) Slide Trackball to Software Updates
     (h) Press Trackball
     (i) Press Update your software with Trackball Press
3.  After 45 minutes, you will be asked to let the apps have access say yes to all.  How simple is that ?
4.  (a) - (e) above again.  Then press About Device Versions.  It will read v6.0.0.448

If you think you know more about software than the manufacturer and than your carrier, and need someone to hold your hand to keep up-to-date on the current OS6 release bundle, please continue with questions about why you should stay current.

If you love not having Column View and think it is some waste of time, or too simple - then, by all means please continue to post posts picking up mid-stream in what you do to install v6.0.0.448 and link us to some site where you get something that no one knows how to install it.

If you don't keep track of what your logins and passwords are in March 2011, whose fault is that that a major release of the product you rely upon everywhere you go, requires that you must login and type your password 1 time per app ?  How many apps require you to sign in on your device ?

When you open your standard BlackBerry 9780 Browser now, with Bundle 1879 v6.0.0.448, you can double-click in an open area on the WebPages, and it will provide you simple, Press the Space Bar, viewing of properly rendered WebPages and you will be able to read the Internet with your BlackBerry Bold 9780 as you did on your OS5 with Column View on your 9700.  This still does not work on all WebPages, like the 9700 OS5 Column View.

1.  Is there a column view option as described by so many users ?  If there is, how exactly is it accessed to set it as default as on the 9700 OS5 where I can read the Internet please on this device ?
2. Where did all the other applications go to on my BlackBerry Desktop Software 6.0.1  that were there ?
3. How do I actually delete some junk software items on my BB, not just hide the  icons ?

If you posted to this thread that Column View is added back in in .448, why didn't you go ahead and list what exactly you did to turn it on on your BB ?

Contributor

V6.0.0.480 for Bold 9780 T-Mobile Bundle 2115 & there is still NO COLUMN VIEW

[ Edited ]

device now reads 6.0.0.480 Bundle 2115.

There is no COLUMN VIEW

Here is a perfect example of WebPages which I just cannot read, even with OS6 .480 BlackBerry :

http://www.georgiadogs.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/031311aah.html

If I am supposed to use word wrap to read these WebPages with OS6, could someone please be so kind as to describe the steps to read this URL Link on my BlackBerry please.

You have DENUDED your OS, rendering the product unusable to read the Internet any longer.

How silly is that of BlackBerry RIM ?

New Contributor
My Device: Curve 3G 9330

Agreed - Column View is an absolute necessity, this new OS Browser is not impressive. It is downright primitive, it is like RIM is trying to drive us away from Blackberry - where is "save Web Page" to Message List, while I'm at it.

2 of tthe moste useful features ever on a phone, and they eliminate them! Thanks, Rim

Contributor

BlackBerry nothing but small screens to begin with - have to have actual Column View of OS5

[ Edited ]

Then, they come out with OS6, and leave us without the 1 feature we actually have to have.  Column View is Column View.  What Column View is on the BlackBerry Bold 9700 is an option you can set on your device, which when you go to a URL Link Webpage, allows you to actually read the bloody page on the itty-bitty teeny-weenie screens BlackBerry makes available for us.  You could go to Column View Options.  You could set it up for all WebPages.  You could select a font which allowed you to actually read it.  And, you didn't have to hit the space bar so as to not DRIFT left and right and not be able to see it without again having to line it up.  Further, the fonts that are there in OS6, are small.

I am not sure what you mean by Save Page to Message List.  You can save WebPages by adding to Bookmarks and you have complete control, killdeer452, of where you want to save it, or create even new categories to save the URL Link, as in Windows Explorer Favorites.  I do not care for the manner in which RIM BlackBerry allows only 1 carrier to sell a model of their product and not be available on all the rest of the carriers.

I await OS6 to have the 1 feature in OS5 that they absolutely had to have to have an OS6 : Column View.  There are so many WebPages I go to that their "column view knock-off" does not render at all.  I am sorry, but it does not work.

New Contributor
My Device: Curve 3G 9330

Re: BlackBerry nothing but small screens to begin with - have to have actual Column View of OS5

In OS 5, you could actually save a web PAGE, not just a link to the page. Saving a link does not give you offline access. I used to routinely spend the last 10 or 15 minutes before airline flights saving web pages from the Wall Street Journal, New York Times, etc. . The pages themselves (text, photos, all) would save to the message list and you could then read them on a plane with the radio off. A wonderful feature, now MIA in OS6. 

My Device: Curve

Hey HaTaX

I noticed you said your Bank site doesn't render properly.  I actually work for a bank and our site does not render properly either for some blackberry's and I was wondering if you had any ideas on how to fix it. 

Please let me know your thoughts.

Contributor

Yes, I would be only too happy to assist you on how to fix bank's WebPages

Here is a URL Link where the WebPages are not properly designed for OS6 BlackBerry, not rendered correctly :

http://www.georgiadogs.com/sports/m-tennis/spec-rel/060111aaa.html

Here is a URL Link where the WebPages are properly designed for OS6 BlackBerry, correctly rendered :

http://www.thedawgbone.com/

I see you say you actually work for a bank and your site does not render properly either, and you are asking me for my help.  Hopefully, someone at your bank you work at, can look at these 2 WebPages URL Links I just provided here in this reply to you btrovato, and perhaps they can see what the design is # 1 does not use and # 2 does use, rendering # 1 site in such a manner you nor I nor anyone with the latest OS6 BlackBerry operating system, would not have any hope of being able to actually see.

Surely there is something in site 2 that is different.  I have studied the 2, and cannot see what site 1 did wrong.  I think your bank you work at, would be able to see the difference right here if you print this and hand it to the bank to study the 2 sites.  Looks like I should be able to see the mistake in site 1, but I cannot see what they have done wrong.

But, I can tell you this.  I cannot read site 1, no matter what I try on my BlackBerry without the COLUMN VIEW I had in OS5.  You know what is really said btrovato ?

That

RIM BlackBerry cannot fix their OS6 to have COLUMN VIEW, then you and I would not be having these issues - and, EVERYONE ELSE who has not come in here and given them a good solid earful.