Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

My Device: Style
My Carrier: Sprint

Re: Yes, I would be only too happy to assist you on how to fix bank's WebPages

I have to say the OS 6 is the single biggest disapointment I have encountered since cell phones came out..  My wife and I both got BB Styles.  We both had Curves before and loved them.  She has impaired vision and simply cannot see this thing since there is no column view.  Until I get another phone, I am simply shutting off the data plan on both.  I can see well and I  have a hard time seeing the pages that do work and I am tired of being able to use only  appproximately 40% of the web pages I go to.

I have been a BB cutomer for years but it looks like I may have to go find something else next time.  If BB will let this hit the market, what will they do to us the next time they "upgrade" the OS?.

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9780
My Carrier: Claro

Re: OS 6 Browser - No column view?!?

Opera Mini has solved its problems with the cursor, and that's the software I use when I need something like "Column View". I really hate the left and right scrolling when I'm reading a long text in a web page.

Try Opera Mini

Contributor
My Device: Z10 STL100-3 S/W 10.1.0.2006 Internet Explorer 10.0.9200.16618
My Carrier: T-Mobile

That's your answer ?  Opera Mini.

Pardon me.  I see 20/20 up close, so everyone talking about impaired vision is off-base.  You cannot read the Internet with OS6, and you know it.  Column view was so beautiful and it worked.  Instead, we are stuck with a itty-bitty screen 1 and a half inches high by 2 inches wide; and, certainly have every expectation that August 31, 2011 RIM BlackBerry would have a (1) proper size screen or (2) fix the OS6 to have column view.  Toolkit ?  Opera Mini ?  Do I look like I am stupid or impaired in some fashion not otherwise readily apparent ?  Put the column view in OS6.  Since I went to OS6, I have not used the Internet.  I cannot see it.  It is rendered in a cheap, don't care, manner so that none of us can see the Internet any longer.  Any other answer other than (1) screen size on a RIM BlackBerry or (2) Column view is a waste of my time to get an update that someone has an answer for me.  In the first place, if Opera Mini is some other browser to load on my RIM BlackBerry you would have to do a lot more than say Opera Mini.  All I want is column view.  Save me the wasted time to come back to this thread to read any but that - if you don't mind please.  I am totally perplexed that RIM BlackBerry has not put itself out of business.  All this time, and I get Opera Mini.  Man.

Give Thumbs-Up if helps you, or say Solution Accepted, or say Like.
My Device: 0

Hi everyone,

I understand the frustration  with the issue [ OS 6 Browser - No column view?!?] , but these forums are peer to peer support forums and the contributors and forum veterans are here to help you as best they can, we don't censor conversation, as long as you keep it on track and Keep it courteous please.

Chronos                                                                                                      New to the Community click here  
Community Moderator
Likes2.png  AS3.png  CG2.png
New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9780
My Carrier: Claro

Do you think I don't feel disappointed with all those cough-phone and cough-droid guys out there showing all what they can do with their phones? I think that's the price RIM pays for providing some privacy, security, and other facilities...

I am visually impared, but I can see a close BlackBerry screen full of small texts. What I hate is to scroll from left to right to read news or blogs. I see notifications about BBM updates (...) and AppWorld Updates, but no BB Browser updates. I opted for that mobile browser, but the alternative that everybody  around me say is: "Change your smartphone!"...

Contributor

So, there is nothing going on on column view ?  Don't you have OS6 ?  Aren't you unable to read the internet on your device designed for this purpose - to use the internet ?

Contributor

OS 6 Browser - COLUMN VIEW 4thpass

[ Edited ]

So, December 7, 2011 now.  Here is where we are today, as best I know it.

If you used BlackBerry RIM devices prior to OS 6, you would go to settings and set your device to "COLUMN VIEW."  At that point, you could go to any WebPages and see every word on every site.  The size of the font could be as big as you want.  You never had to scroll back and forth, left and right.  You simply only moved the cursor down.  You saw the whole page, every word.

RIM has no idea what we are talking about.  No one in any user group has any solution. 

They simply cannot provide Column View in OS6.

They have no new BlackBerry phone to purchase which has a larger screen to see a page.  You just cannot read the Internet with a BlackBerry device and have not been able to now for a year.

Currenty 6.0 Bundle 2115

v6.0.0.480, Platform 6.5.0.153

Portions of the Browser are copyright 4thpass

Good job 4thpass

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: sfr

I disagree. It makes it impossible to read and paricpate to a forum for instance.

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: sfr

[ Edited ]

I agree with you all. I'm reconsidering getting the latest bold because of that : we got a message from BBR to update our phones to OS6; it s been two days now and I've been frantically searching th eweb for a solution to the missing colomn view. My vision is perfect but I cannot read most of the pages I used to read, so what's the point?

I m am soooooo surprised that Rim has not read/listened or taken care of its customers

Contributor

OS 6 Browser - No COLUMN VIEW - what if I upgrade to OS 7 ?

Pooky, thank you for your replies.  I see you too, like everyone else who does not come in here and post would say as well, no longer are any of the BlackBerry devices capable of anyone wanting to use them to try to read the bloody Internet any more, once RIM BlackBerry removed COLUMN VIEW I had on previous BlackBerry devices up to OS 5.

I called BlackBerry Technical Support this month.  You know what they told me ?  Downgrade your software to OS5.

Now, though I have a new question ?

Can I upgrade my BlackBerry Bold 9780 to OS 7 ?  I don't care if T-Mobile supports OS 7 on my BlackBerry Bold 9780.  Will it run ?  I downloaded the OS 6 release I have now in a bootleg copy online so sure that it just had to have a resolution to actually being able to use the BlackBerry RIM devices for the purpose for which they are all intended.  Surely, it is not RIM BlackBerry's position on all this that if the only way to use any of their devices and actually comfortably READ the INTERNET, that we go BACK to OS5.

I could give a FLIP if they cannot put COLUMN VIEW back in OS 6.

I have seen NO ONE DISCUSS OS 7 and whether it allows RIM BlackBerry to program back in COLUMN VIEW.

All I want is what I paid for and was using and had EVERY RIGHT to expect the VERY LATEST RIM BlackBerry devices to STILL HAVE.

I like to sit there and click on the Internet and keep up with the world around me.  Now, that is not an option.  I don't use it to look at the Internet.  All it is a 29 cent toy that allows me to make cell phone calls and get an e-mail.

Good Heavens.

Thank you again for your posts Pooky.  If you've still got OS 5, (1) do NOT upgrade to OS 6 and (2) go into set-up and set the settings to COLUMN VIEW.  You can then choose FONT SIZE.  You can make the FONT 1 inch tall if you want.  You can go to any WebPages.  You will RENDER them ALL.  You then will see the page starting at the top of the page, and can simply scroll down the tractor ball without fear of drifting off left or right, and actually READ the INTERNET.

Novel concept, obviously, being able to READ the INTERNET on any RIM BlackBerry device.