Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

CTJ
New Contributor
CTJ
My Device: bold 9700
My Carrier: bell

OS 6 - uses more battery and slow to respons

I have just loaded the new 6 OS and immediately see a huge increase in my battery life - with hardly any usage I'm almost drained after 10hours.  As well, often when I got to use it (eg.  unlock, exit BBM to go to email) the little clock comes up and makes me wait. Never had these probs with old OS.  Any fix suggestions?

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
strnea
My Device: Bold
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: OS 6 - uses more battery and slow to respons

I immediately noticed that my device's battery life was drastically shortened after loading the latest update. There is nothing more frustrating than having to re-charge THREE TIMES A DAY! I also noticed slower response when using the trackpad. I switched around the vert. and horiz. sensitivity which resolved nothing. It is so frustrating to have updated, assuming that the update would be beneficial, only to realize the "upgrade" had the adverse effect. Where do cusomers submit complaints?

Please use plain text.
Elite II
BillJ
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

CTJ, your phone will take a couple of days to adapt to the new OS; it's a new brain you just slapped in there and your phone needs to catch up to it.

In the meantime, remove your battery while your phone is powered on then replace it a few seconds later.  That should take care of the hourglass.

If, after a couple of days, you don't see a big difference, get back to us and we'll take it from there.  :smileyhappy:

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

Please use plain text.
CTJ
New Contributor
CTJ
My Device: bold 9700
My Carrier: bell

OK, I've given it 4 days and still my battery barely lasts for 8hrs - with hardly any use.  this is a dramatic decrease from my previous version of operating system.  As well, often when I got to use my bb, either to exit from one bbm chat to another, or to login with my password, that stupid little clock pops up and puts me into a hold pattern while the system does god-knows-what!  (never had that problem before) .  I went in and removed any applications I don't need (mostly a bunch of languages I have no use of). I have removed/replaced the battery. And nothing.

Am thinking to download an old version of the OS.  (as well, this version has very limited "sounds" to choose from - and I'm not one to download custom - just would like the old choices back.)  What exactly is the benefit of this new OS??? 
I am hopeful you can help me - or this thing is gonna become a flying projectile as that's about all the use it has!

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
schnervel
My Device: Bold

Mine is very slow too.  I end up having to reboot it nearly every day because it gets stuck with the new OS.  I've had the new OS for at least 2 weeks now.  Like a previous poster, I also find the battery life under the new OS severely degraded to the point that I have to charge the phone 3 times a day.  Please tell me there is a fix on the way.

I am running software version 6.0 Bundle 2333
Please use plain text.
Contributor
surfingus
My Device: Bold 9780
My Carrier: Vodafone

Hi All.

I have the same problems too. Battery life is hours and hourglass not going away.

Any ideas on how to downgrade to the previous OS please?

Have reinstalled twice now in less then 24 hours.

Thanks,

Regard's

Please use plain text.
Elite II
BillJ
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

I'm sorry to hear of anyone who's having battery issues with the new OS.  For most people, these issues correct themselves after a couple of days.  For those who don't see improvements, the only thing that can be suggested is to turn off all extra apps that aren't being used (using the menu key and selecting Close or Exit) and topping up the charge whenever you get a chance.  Remember, with Lithium-Ion batteries, you can't overcharge them and they can be topped up at anytime.

If you've installed a new OS and you decide you absolutely must have a previous OS back again, plug your phone into your PC with your USB cord and open BlackBerry Desktop Software.  Click Device at the top and Update from the drop-down menu.  It will tell you you're already up to date, so click View Other Versions.  Your current version, the one you no longer want, will be the top one and it will be checked.  Make sure you uncheck it and check the version right below it.  Click Update and your previous OS version will be reinstalled.

As always, if there's anything you have a question about when installing a new OS, make sure you ask us first before going ahead with the reinstallation of a previous version.  We can usually help.  :smileyhappy:

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
surfingus
My Device: Bold 9780
My Carrier: Vodafone

Hi,

Thank you for your response.

I have had the update for about 2weeks, its been playing up for a couple of days now.

I have tried to downgrade from desktop manager, I have no other versions to select. Is there any other way?

Thanks,

Regard's

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
shyamsl
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: AT&T

I have the same problems.  The battery life has gone down by nearly 50% compared to OS 5 with the same apps and usage pattern.  Also the hourglass icon comes on very frequently and will freeze up the phone for 5-30 seconds.  I am going to try downgrading to OS 5 as I need to be able to get through the day without recharging the phone.   Hope BB comes out with a OS 6 update to fix this very soon.

Please use plain text.
fauxtemoin
My Device: Bold 9650

I have been so frustrated too.  I went from only having to recharge overnight to having to recharge three times a day. and it goes down so fast at the end.  I've been a Blackberry shipper but am getting to the stage where I can't wait to be able to upgrade and go for something different.  After almost three years with a BB (started with a Curve), that's a shame.  Having users take care of a problem themselves is disingenuous at best.  If there's a known problem, why not let the improvement come from the source.  Take care of it BB.

Please use plain text.