Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

Visitor
ukswipes
My Device: 9900
My Carrier: vodafone

OS 7.1 update freezing "social feeds"

[ Edited ]

Hey following the new release of the much anticipated os 7.1 software, i downloaded it via WIFI from my 9900 device, the file downloaded fine but my problem has occured during the installation procress

My bb is attempting to "backing up your data" but freezes at abput 10% while trying to back up "social feeds". when i remove the battery it just starts the back up process again but keeps getting stuck in the same place

i am unable to use my phone, does anyone have any sugesstions

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Technical Advisor (Retired)
FrankieS
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 smartphone

Re: OS 7.1 update freezing "social feeds"

Hi ukswipes,

Welcome to the BlackBerry Support Community.

Sounds like there may be an issue with your Social Feeds database. If you have access to a computer with the BlackBerry® Desktop Software installed, try clearing the database, then try to backup again. The following KB article provides further steps. "How to clear the user content databases from the BlackBerry smartphone"  http://bbry.lv/KOkMrS

Hope this helps.

-FS

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on Twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

Please use plain text.
philsink
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: Orange

[ Edited ]

I am also having the same problem when trying to update to 7.1 and now my phone is stuck in a cycle of freezing updates, rendering it completely useless.

This solution doesn't work because my desktop software refuses to detect my phone and when the phone reboots it just starts the update again automatically, freezing again at the same stage so there is no visible way out of it!

Please help my phone is totally unusuable and I really need it!

Please use plain text.
adouglaspr
My Carrier: Rogers

I'm having the same problem. My phone has been rendered inoperable. I can't get out of the social feeds backup. Pulling the battery didn't help.

Please answer quickly!

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
habbitzz
My Carrier: N NetCom

I had the exact same problem!!
When it freezes just pull battery, reinsert and wait for reboot. The reboot might be longer than normal, but just wait for it.
Then, delete the social feeds app (or which ever app/file it freezes on), and try to install the upgrade again.
I don't remember if it was only this app that screwed it up for me, but if there are more apps just delete them! You can reinstall if you want after the upgrade.

I had to try 4-5 times, atleast, before finally completing the upgrade to 7.1! Now its running smoother than ever :smileywink:
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
mtalbott93
My Carrier: o2

I am having the exactly same problem with this on the bold 9900 also. Nothing can get it away from the backing up your data screen. I've tried connecting my phone to my laptop, taking the battery out and yet nothing works. Its frozen on social feeds the same as other peoples. This clearly seems to be a fault with the software on the 9900

Please use plain text.
adouglaspr

I'm lucky to have a bunch of app developers in the office above me. It stumped them. It wouldn't even work to boot it in safe mode. But one of them finally did a battery pull, put it back in and attached it to a different laptop than mine with the BB desktop software running. He was able to manually update the software that way. I lost my apps but not my settings.

I think this is the last straw for me. I'm going iPhone in a couple of months.

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
habbitzz
My Carrier: N NetCom

Reboot phone and computer, delete Social Feeds, and you should be able to upgrade w/out freezing on the back up!
Please use plain text.
Elite II
BillJ
My Device: BlackBerry Z30

adouglaspr wrote:
I'm going iPhone in a couple of months.

See you when you get back.  :smileyhappy:

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

Please use plain text.
cbgimse

[ Edited ]

My BB is doing the same thing. I had to reboot it a number of times before it partially restored itself. I lost most of my contacts, wallpaper, all the settings, cleaned out a years worth of info in the memo pad. I tried it three more times and each time it froze. 

The phone has been freezing up inconsistently ever since it was new. Its really too bad because I rather liked BB's. This is my fourth or fifth but so far the worst one for the software messing up. Windows 95 ran better. 

Its a company phone so I can't complain about the price. Except I work for a government agency so it is the taxpayers being burned by RIM. We buy these things by the hundred. 

Please use plain text.