Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
PhillyIdol
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: Rogers

OS 7 Upgrade Wrecked Touch Screen

Hey all,

My son has a 9790 Bold that I JUST upgraded from OS 6 to OS 7.1 for him, and the touch screen is now shot.  It 'sorta' works after about letting it sit for 20+ mins, but only the top half of the screen, and VERY sporadically.

I've tried batt pulls, app removals (he only had 2 apps, and they were card games like solitaire), so checked this (and other) site(s) and they said to just revert/downgrade, but I can't find OS 6 to download ANYWHERE. When I go to look, only older versions of OS 7 are available.

I'm with Telus (in Canada), so short of calling and asking them for OS 6, I was hoping someone out there knew of a fix (or a different OS 7 version) that works.

Would appreciate ANY help, as he's pretty upset, and being a Dad, I wanna make things right.

Cheers

Please use plain text.
Elite II
BillJ
My Device: BlackBerry Z30

Re: OS 7 Upgrade Wrecked Touch Screen

Your best bet is to use BlackBerry Desktop Software to revert back to OS 6.  If you don't have it installed on your PC, you can find it at www.blackberry.com/desktop .

Plug your phone in to your PC and open BDS.  Once your phone has been recognized, click Device at the top of the software then click Update.  When the box pops up, click View Other Versions.  There should be an OS 6 version in there.

Let us know if that helps you.  :smileyhappy:

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
PhillyIdol

Hey BillJ, First off, thanks much for replying. Second, the one thing every forum mentions about that is you first need to download OS 6, the only problem is, I can't find it online anywhere. That, and they say you need to download it from your provider (I.e. for me that's Telus), but they only show OS 7 on their DL links, so again, I'm blocked. I'm going to call Telus and see if they can assist, so I'll reply to this to let you know what I find (unless you, or anyone else, has another idea) Cheers, and thanks much again.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
PhillyIdol

Well is my face red.

Apparently the 9790 was NOT released with OS 6, so the only OS available to downgrade to is OS 7.0, and I upgraded to OS 7.1, which is when the touch screen (TS) went 'hinky', so I'm going to downgrade to OS 7.0, see what happens, and then post back.

BTW - I spoke with Telus, and they said they had a 9790 in house with OS 7.1 and the TS works fine, so I'm hoping it isn't a bad phone thing where I'll have to nuke it and reload from scratch.

Cheers

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
PhillyIdol

Update,

Looks like I'm looking at a nuke-and-pave after all.

I downgraded, but to no avail.  The touch screen is still toast.  I've found a couple 'Nuke' articles (one from Crackberry), so going to go through and see if I can fix it that way.  Will update again when completed with results.

Thanks for any assists

Cheers

Please use plain text.