Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

Contributor
ncg61
My Device: Not Specified

Opinions on which is better and why, new Bold or 3g i-Phone?

I have heard of a few problems with the i-phone, but with all these Bold issues listed here I am left wondering if the i-phone might be the better purchase.  Any thoughts?  Pro's and cons?  Other?

Thanks.

P.S.  Last I heard it will be six months before Verizon comes out with the Storm--BB's answer to the i-phone (though I did just see a BB teaser commercial for the Storm on television (no details/dates).

Please use plain text.
Developer
Xcist
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9000
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Opinions on which is better and why, new Bold or 3g i-Phone?

Honestly, it all depends on what you will use the phone for. Yes, the Bold has bugs - but that can easily be fixed in time, and most of them aren't anything that will totally ruin your experience.

The first, and most important question, is how important is email to you? If it's your #1 priority, then there's no competition - get the berry. No one handles email better at the moment.

If email isn't your biggest concern - then think of what you'll be doing with it. They both do exactly the same things. Yes, videos are brilliant on the Bold too, yes - it plays music without any problem. Yes, they both browse the internet - albeit the Iphone a tad better. 

Do you text message a lot? The bold holds a full, tactile-feedback keyboard. You will never be able to reach the speed and ease of a real keyboard on the iphone.

Then again - are you just goign to use your phone to watch youtube 24/7? Cuz well.. the iphone definitely rules the bold there.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
ncg61
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Opinions on which is better and why, new Bold or 3g i-Phone?

Thanks for the thorough reply.  It helps.  I am leaning heavily towards the Bold when it comes out here in the U.S., hopefully on Oct 27th from what I now hear. 

One of the things I really like about the Blackberry's such as the Bold is it appears you can use it with just one hand, especially as you get used to it, using the thumb to hit all the keys and use the scroll button, while it appears that using two hands is the norm on the i-phone because of its various touch screen requirements.  Am I correct about this do you know? 

I am going to use the phone mostly for business, though some of the other features will be nice to have, like downloading a brief utube video if I ever find one of a skiier on a powder day to be able to click and view to relax when I'm stressed (I wonder if you can store one on the Bold desk top for quick access?), or being able to check stock quotes and maybe place a trade.  Apparently the new Bold can be used to access either mobile or regular websites, which I understand is a big change from earlier curve's and pearls.  I will use email, phone and voicemail a lot daily.  I will want to sinc it regularly with my desk top computer, for those, and to keep the calendar, to do lists and notes current and organized on both (I am concerned that I might not be able to use the outlook to do lists and notes with the i-phone, for I find no reference to a to do list capability on the i-phone, and though it does have a notes feature, such appears distinct from outlook notes thus not syncable).  I also like the alarm and snooze feature of the Bold, its added wifi capability, and a few of the other features I saw on the video I found doing an online search.  Apparently the new Bold will be much faster across the board than other Blackberry's.  Am I right that much of the above is likely better or maybe even only available on the Bold?  Other?

Please use plain text.