Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9790
My Carrier: 3

Overheating BB Bold 9790

This is my first BB and was really looking forward to getting it.  In May I upgraded from a Sony Ericsson to a Blackberry Bold 9790.  To start with it was brilliant, I then got a message saying that there was a Blackberry Software update, I updated the software then all of a sudden the whole unit is going red hot.  I unplugged it, took the battery out, left it to cool down, bought a new battery and tried again.  Same thing happens, overheating.  Sent it back to my service provider who after two weeks told me there is nothing wrong with it.  I get it back another BB Software update later and it is doing the same thing again, they have now said that it is either the battery or the charger, and I should get a new charger, try that and if that doesnt work then I should call them back and they will take it in for repair (wait another 2 weeks!) before I get it back. 

Is there a problem that BB are aware of that is causing this problem...................there seems to be alot of posts about these handsets overheating.  Wish I had known before I upgraded.

Forums Advisor III
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 OS Leaked 10.2.0.1725 | STL100-2
My Carrier: Globe Telecom

Re: Overheating BB Bold 9790

sarah68 wrote:

This is my first BB and was really looking forward to getting it.  In May I upgraded from a Sony Ericsson to a Blackberry Bold 9790.  To start with it was brilliant, I then got a message saying that there was a Blackberry Software update, I updated the software then all of a sudden the whole unit is going red hot.  I unplugged it, took the battery out, left it to cool down, bought a new battery and tried again.  Same thing happens, overheating.  Sent it back to my service provider who after two weeks told me there is nothing wrong with it.  I get it back another BB Software update later and it is doing the same thing again, they have now said that it is either the battery or the charger, and I should get a new charger, try that and if that doesnt work then I should call them back and they will take it in for repair (wait another 2 weeks!) before I get it back. 

Is there a problem that BB are aware of that is causing this problem...................there seems to be alot of posts about these handsets overheating.  Wish I had known before I upgraded.

Hi sarah68,

This is normal. Please read this article.

The BlackBerry 7 smartphone may feel warm during use

Thanks!

Please thank those who help you by clicking the button.
If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking "Accept as Solution"

New Contributor

Warm I can deal with, my other smartphone used to get warm if I used it alot, but this get very hot and also causes me problems with emails, texts etc.  This cannot be normal.

Forums Advisor III

What problems do you encountered in your email, texts, etc.?

If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking "Accept as Solution"

New Contributor

In order to cool the handset down, I have to disconnect the battery, then when I put it back together any texts or emails that I have sent have been lost to a date before it started to overheat.  Also if I try and go into the email or text applications then I have to wait for it to think about it doing the action I have requested it to do.  It is like a very old slow modem on a computer.

The handset was placed on charge for 2 hours on Tuesday evening.  I unplugged around 10.15pm.  When I got up the next morning at 5.30am the handset was still hot to touch.  Surely that is not normal.

Forums Advisor III

[ Edited ]

Any running apps in background? Please close it after use. Thanks.

New Contributor

I have only downloaded 1 app, which is 'whatsapp' and that is closed after any messages have been sent.  The only other thing I have downloaded is Blackberry Protect.

Forums Advisor III

Did you observe your phone? Did you see diagonal arrow (sending data / receiving data) at the right top corner of your screen?

New Contributor

I may have solved the problem, time will tell though.  I finally got through to someone from my network who was actually helpful and they suggested a different mains charger and different battery.

I was lucky enough to borrow both a battery and charger from one of my bosses, the phone charged up without overheating and so far so good.  The network are now sending me a new battery and new charger, so will see how it goes.

My Device: 9790 bold
My Carrier: idea

hi there,

same is the isue with me. I purchsed blackberry 9790 and it was my first BB. I am really upset with its battery back up . Secondly , the way it is heating up during charging its really inconvinient to use it fulfledgedly. I am sure its not normal device getting hot and not 'lil warm'!!! 

Kindly help me if you could.....somebody said a charger and other battery? whaich one is it??? 

My phone is in warranty can that help ?????

I  bought it from dehradun ,can i show it here in bangalore to the service centre?somehow i am not happy speding over 25000 inr!!!!

contact.singh.blr@gmail.com