Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
boams
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9780

Phone not charging via Car Charger

Hi,

I've recently purchased within the last 2 weeks the Blackberry Bold 9780. For some reason I can't get the phone to charge in any Car using the 12v cigarette lighter. I've had no issues with charging it from the Mains and the USB port on a PC. When plugging into the Cigarette lighter, the charger's LED lights up to indicate that there is power being received to the charging unit and after inserting the mini USB connection into the Phone, I get the connection bleep and the clock appears, however after all of this I still get no charging indicator on the battery. Also sometimes when I re-connect the cable I get the below message from the phone:

`Some USB hubs might not provide enough power. Plug the hub into a power outlet (if available) and re-connect your Blackberry device. Try connecting to another USB port (different computer, USB hub or travel charger). Verify that your USB cable is securely connected to your Blackberry device and USB port. Verify that your Computer is standby, hibernate or sleep mode. Verify that Blackberry device USB drivers are installed on your Computer`.

I've now tried three different car chargers all supported by Blackberry - I've sinced purchased one of the Mini USB Chargers that plug into the Cigarette lighter Mini-USB cables - still the same issue... I've tried charging in other cars - also my wife owns a HTC Wildfire and she's able to charge her phone from the Mini USB charger I have recently purchased.

I've spoken to Orange who don't seem to have heard of any issues like this - I've since asked Orange to replace the phone which I'm hoping to receive within the next 24hrs...

Has anybody heard or experienced similar issues?

Your replies would be much appreciated - cheers ;-)

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
boams
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9780

Re: Phone not charging via Car Charger

Today I received a replacement Blackberry Bold 9780 from Orange as previously advised. Unfortunately this did not resolve the Car Charging issue - the same as before, I can still charge via Mains, PC (USB) but not through the 12v Cigarette lighter... This must be something thats not supported on this phone, however to confirm this can anyone with this phone please confirm that their Bold 9780 does charge in their vehicle? Cheers :manwink:

Please use plain text.
crz
New Contributor
crz
My Device: Not Specified

Have had similar problems with this model of BB.  I have a mains travel adapter with USB charge port.  This charges a Curve 8900 but cannot charge the 9780.  Have not tried with car charger yet.  I also get the cannot charge message when plugged into my laptop, however it does slowly charge.  Again, didnt have a problem with the 8900.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
lji1221
My Device: Bold 9700

There are a few posts on this topic, including one i posted myself !

The solution is that "Not all Car Chargers are created equal".  My earlier BB 8320, used to charge just fine using a Griffin 'Power Jolt' car charger.  My new BB Bold 9700 didn't work from this charger, and

changing cables had no effect.

Even though the Jolt was rated at 1A output, it wasn't able to do the job.  I wound up buying a 1A rated

Kensington, and now i'm back up and charging from my car !

Please use plain text.
laineygrapes
My Device: Bold 9780

I had bought a car charger for my Bold 9780 that said it was supposed to work with this model phone.  However, I got the exact same message you did.  It wasn't pulling enough power to charge the phone.  I ended up buying a Blackberry brand car charger meant for this model of phone and it works fine.

Please use plain text.
peggyb

Hi:

I had the same freaking problem, so I tried using my usb connector and plug it into my usb port in my car, but the darn thing keeps turning on my cd or my xm radio function instead.  The car manual says you have to use your car lighter with a car charger that plugs into the cigarette lighter inself.  I had no problem with a usb connection when I had my samsung phone as long as the phone turns off.  You turn off the blackberry and plug in by usb port the car's usb function reads as a usb portal and turns the darn phone on and says there's an error and you can't charge the phone via usb port. But only with the cigarette lighter.  It does the same darn thing with my GPS when I plug it in with the usb connecter.  Both prefer the cigarette lighter car charger unit.  I have no problem with the computer function either, but it takes longer to charge, both by charger and by usb into computer, than plugging it into a wall socket.  It's got a usb connector, we should be able to plug it in anywhere that has a usb connection and charge the darn thing, instead of buying all the extra attachments. It should be all universal, but no they won't do that. Now Blackberry Rim is going down the tubes and we will lose our support center. So where does that leave all the blackberry users?  Go figure!

Please use plain text.
peggyb

Mine charges in the vehicle only if  use a belkin cigarette lighter attachement not via usb port which is so stupid, it's doesn't even use 10amps when charging the darn thing.

Please use plain text.
ROHIT267
My Device: BLACKBERRY BOLD 9790

Yes, I am also facing the same problem.
Please use plain text.