Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

garpew
My Device: Bold 9930
My Carrier: Singtel

Plans to remove BIS

I would like to ask if there are any plans in the near future to remove the need for Blackberry Internet Service to use Blackberry phones with OS7 or before, as more and more people including myself are moving to other smartphones but occassionally still need the Blackberry devices due to certain work requirement, but more and more service provider seems to be stopping BIS services.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Plans to remove BIS

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

BB10 and legacy devices are completely different. Legacy devices do not have the necessary on-device full apps so as to function without BIS.

Example...BB10 includes a full email app, and interfaces directly with the email servers configured. Legacy devices do not have such a full app, and require BIS as the intermediary between the device and the email server. In order to eliminate BIS, a full on-device email app would be required -- and many of the legacy devices still supported simply do not have the capacity to have such a full on-device app.

So, I would guess that BIS cannot be eliminated until BBOS devices are all past their EOL period. With the rumors of a new legacy device coming, if true that would continue to push out that EOL date further and further into the future.

Then again, no one here can actually know the true answer to your question. Or, if they do, they would likely be barred from revealing it due to proprietary information, the Ts and Cs of this site, NDA, etc. So, all you can obtain here are opinions from others, which may or may not be accurate. You must choose what you will believe, and make your decisions accordingly.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.