09-30-2011 05:05 AM - edited 09-30-2011 05:10 AM
Hi all, Got a rather oldish 9000 bold, that I need to upgrade to OS 5.0 (right now 4.6.0) but no matter what I try, I cannot update it. This is what I was trying:
1) Downloaded and installed latest BB Desktop Software, and going "Update". It says that no updates are available. If I click on "View other packages", the list has my existing installed 4.6.0 as the latest package
2) My carrier (Orange UK) emailed me a link where I downloaded the official 9000M_PBr5.0.0_rel1137_PL220.127.116.11_A18.104.22.1681_Orang
3) Downloaded 9000j_PBr5.0.0_rel661_PL22.214.171.124_A126.96.36.1991_Bell_M
4) Found Loader.exe manually in C:\Program Files\RIM\AppLoader folder. If I start it, it reads in details from my phone, but next screen where I should have an option to add new OS, I just see 2 of my applications in the list. "ADD" button simply opens the Open File window. I can see folders
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\9000EastAsia_v188.8.131.521_P184.108.40.206
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\9000M_v220.127.116.111_P18.104.22.168
on my PC which are full of alx and xml files (I tried the delete vendor.xml trick), but I just can't upload them to the phone?
5) Tried update via website http://uk.blackberry.com/services/devices/ When I click "update" button, it says that no updates are available - again.
6) On the phone Options->Advanced Options->Check for updates ("Current version is 22.214.171.1243") - "No updates available"
How can this be happenning when OS 5 runs perfectly fine on 9000 bold? I spent hours with poor people on tech support line from Orange UK, two of them mentioned that they installed OS 5 on 9000 so many times. What else can I try?
Appreciate any suggestions.
I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700
09-30-2011 10:06 AM
Manual device OS upgrade instructions:
1. First locate your carrier and the OS file you wish to use.
2. Do a backup of your device first, using Desktop Manager > Backup. Close Desktop Manager upon completion and unplug BlackBerry. Get DM here http://us.blackberry.com/apps-software/desktop/
3. Download the OS file to the PC then install it to the PC by running (double clicking) the file you downloaded.
4. Go to c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader and delete the file named "vendor.xml."
5. This step is not needed unless there is an issue on next steps. Use BBSAK from BBSAK.org and wipe the device (after doing a complete backup) then after you get the error 507 (no OS installed) then proceed to step 6
6. remove internet connection to PC and reboot PC.
7. Plug in BlackBerry and double click on "Loader.exe." It's located in the same place as the above vendor.xml file was in.
8. if you did Step 5, restore from back up. Follow this KB if needed http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB10339
Enjoy the new OS.
BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.
BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V
09-30-2011 10:20 AM
Thank you for your answer, but I have sorted it out in the meantime. Indeed, it was the vendor.xml, but not the one in
c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader
that you have mentioned, that one I have deleted yesterday. However, today I found out that there is another copy of vendor.xml fil in Windows' User profile folder. Only after deleting that as well, everything went smoothly.
01-30-2012 07:38 PM
Thank you Mr_V. I've spent hours and hours trying to get from 4.6 to 5. I found this second Vendor file and likewise deleted it. It then updated instantly from the loader.exe whereas it wouldn't before.