Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
Pisces
My Device: 9780 v6.0.0.294 - azerty keyboard
My Carrier: SFR

Poor browsing experience - tiny text

Hi,

I previously had a 8800 and just bought a 9780. I am very disappointed with the browser. On many mobile sites, the text is impossible to read (too tiny) and no zooming is possible. I have tried to change the font size in the options, and let the borwser automatically detect text, but it does not change anything. And when I go to the full websites (as opposed to the mobile version), text is even smaller as the browser tries to embrace the full width of the internet page. When zooming, I then have to navigate in the text with the trackpad, it is a pain !

Has anyone heard of a solution ? Opera Mini does not seem to have a 9780-compatible version yet, I have tried 5.1 but the trackpad freezes.

I would welcome suggestions. Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
virajrvyas
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9780
My Carrier: Vodafone Essar

Re: Poor browsing experience - tiny text

To be really frank, There aren't good browsers out there and the fact of the matter is that the Webkit browser is best that is aavailable for our phone. I was annoyed at fist too but then I got used to it. Also the Alt + Trackpad works as a good zooming combo. Maybe a software upgrade, which is hopeful in the future, will improve the experience.

BB Bold 9780
v6.0.0.600

Regards,
Viraj Vyas.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Pisces

Thanks, Yes, we will hope for a software upgrade...

(Alt+Trackpad does not work in the mobile pages I mentioned.)

Regards,

C

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Natal
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9780
My Carrier: Telus

Viraj thanks for the tip.  It solved a similar concern I had about small text on web pages.  

Please use plain text.
Contributor
virajrvyas
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9780
My Carrier: Vodafone Essar

Any time Natal..Just give me Kudos...lol
BB Bold 9780
v6.0.0.600

Regards,
Viraj Vyas.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Pisces

Two examples of (French) websites that worked ok with an old 8800 with GPRS/EDGE:

mobile.lemonde.fr

wap.ratp.fr/siv/schedule?service=next&reseau=rer&referer=station&lineid=RA&directionsens=A&stationname=auber

The settings on the browser on the 8800 (OS4.5) allowed to switch between html or html/wml or wml, the page came out fine, the right side of the page was tabbed to the right side of the screen, the font was adjustable, at least I could read the information.

The browser on the 9780 does not have adjustable settings, the text comes out too small, the size of fonts cannot be adjusted (please try thoses sites to see what I mean!), and when you get to zoom in (possible on the second site), the text goes beyond the limits of the screen.

I attribute this to the generic OS6 browser.

I am so disappointed with this lousy browser which has no possible adjustments, that I am beginning to think about DOWNGRADING (yes!) from OS6 to OS5, as I hope this may solve the browser issue...

My question is: is it possible ? Has anyone done it successfully ?

On a related note, does anyone have a clue as to why Opera Mini has not been developed for the 9780 ?

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
kosta
My Device: Bold 9650
My Carrier: Verizon

Seriously Flawed Font Size adjustment with Web Browsing on Bold 9650

I have had the very same problem. The web browsing font size adjustment feature of the Bold 9650 is horrific!!Previously  I had a Blackberry Curve previously which I was quite happy with, had absolutely no difficulty with when web browsing. The tracking ball had finally bit the dust after three years of very frequent usage, but because I was satisfied decided to opt for the next generation when renewing my contract.  The font size seemed to adapt to the screen on the older model. The current software on the newer model doesn't allow the font size to adapt to the device size, and displays the web pages as they would on a computer, although much reduced in size that is unreadable. When I called my service provider they were not able to solve the problem and connected me to Blackberry Customer Service, I was told that the only way to accomplish this is as you have already outlined: #1) select "options" then #2) scroll to "Zoom",  #3) select "Zoom",  then #4) zoom to the desired size, then #5) hit "options again to select #6) "End Zoom". #7) Now you have to find your place on the page!!! , and the prompt for that is not consistent. This flaw renders the Blackberry Bold virtually useless as a so-called "smartphone" because of the added hassle factor which is substantial. I count seven sequential manual steps to accomplish a font size adjustment that  Unfortunately, Blackberry Customer service is very difficult to get through to without being switched from the service provider so I have not been able to address this further with them to see if there is a solution beyond what they initially recommended. Verizon is giving me only limited options at this point with regard to switching the blackberry device for another with this issue. I am at wit's end, but may either end up stuck with this flawed device until my contract runs out, terminate my contract at a price and switch to another provider, or simply take them to small claims court and file a complaint with the State Department of Consumer Affairs. I really only wanted this to work and would be amenable to a solution, but the Provider  seems unaware of any solution, and Blackberry Customer Service has been difficult to access directly. Keep me posted if you find a remedy and I'll do the same.

Please use plain text.
geerpommy
My Device: Bold 9650

It is truly amazing that anyone can make light of the tiny text web browser my Bold continues to experience since updating to 6.0.

This has caused me many hours seeking a fix. Now I too am resigned—resigned that after many failed attempts I will live with this situation and NEVER again acquire [by purchase or gift] a Blackberry device since Blackberry’s answer to problems of this type is simply “live with it”!!

Is it any wonder why Blackberry is decreasing market share and laying off employees.

Please use plain text.
joofa
My Device: 9650

I'm so disappointed!   I too spent a LONG time trying to figure it out, to no avail.  The zooming around is not practical and will make me seasick!  Tried Opera, but it did lock me up and wasn't much bigger font anyway.  I will downgrade to version 5.  This 6 release should be recalled!  I loved my 4-year old Blackberry better...

Please use plain text.