Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Bold 9780, Bold 9900
My Carrier: Rogers Wireless (Canada)

Printing SMS Message String from Bold 9900 .. can this be done?

I have had about a month long message string going with a contractor who refused to use email.  We've been discussing this job back and forth and I need to print off the entire message string.  Forwarding the chat to email won't work because each individual message block needs to be sent.

Is anyone aware of how I can print off the sms conversation in its entirety using either a natice or third party application?

Any advice or help will be greatly appreciated.

Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z10/Z30/Q10 (, Playbook (
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Printing SMS Message String from Bold 9900 .. can this be done?

Hmmm...one way would be to use the RIM Desktop Software and backup your BB to your PC:

• KB12487 How to back up BlackBerry smartphone data using BlackBerry Desktop Software for Windows

Then, on the PC, use a 3rd party app (there are several free ones) to parse the resulting BBB/IPD file into "human readable" format, from which you could likely extract the SMS database and be able to print (perhaps moving to Excel or something similar):

• KB03974 BlackBerry smartphone database list

I've never actually done this, but from all I understand, it should be possible to accomplish. There may be other methods (e.g., 3rd party apps for BB), but that's the one that comes to my mind.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? click here and also here. Please click here for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button.