Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
Timotheus12
My Device: 9790
My Carrier: HEMA

Problem with updating to 7.1

I own a BlackBerry Bold 9790 which I want to update from 7.0 to 7.1.

On my Mac the latest version of BlackBerry Desktop Software (2.3.0)  is installed.

According to the Blackberry Site, updating should be very easy: "Once installed [BlackBerry Dekstop Software], connect your smartphone to your computer and you will automatically be prompted to update".

But  when I connect my 9790 to my Mac, there is no prompt at all: nothing happens, and I don't see any button or something the like for updating.

Wjat am I doing wrong? How can I solve this problem?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Anastasio

Please use plain text.
Elite II
BillJ
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Problem with updating to 7.1

You're prompted to update your phone only when your carrier, HEMA, has offered the OS to its subscribers.  RIM first produces an OS then they send it out to the carriers to test it and familiarize themselves with it so they can then support it.  Until they've tested it out and are ready to support it, you will not be offered the opportunity to update to it.  You can always update to it using another carrier's download link (you'll find the instructions elsewhere in these forums) but be aware that your carrier will offer no support for an OS they haven't release yet.  No problem, just come here for support if you need it.

I hope that helps you.  :smileyhappy:

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Timotheus12
My Device: 9790
My Carrier: HEMA

Thanks, BillJ, for your clear and helpful answer.

But … where on earth do I find these damned download links? I've searched everywhere on this forum and on the sites of various carriers, but to no avail.

One would expect the BlackBerry Desktop Software to suggest some download link, or at least to give some useful information. And to be honest, one would expect to find it on the BlackBerry site too, in a clearly visible place; but I have not been able to find it. The information that is given there ("connect your smartphone to your computer and you will automatically be prompted to update") is too simple and rather misleading.

Please use plain text.
Elite II
BillJ
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

As I mentioned, update prompts come from your carrier.  BlackBerry Desktop Software is connected to the carrier to which you subscribe.  So if your carrier hasn't offered an update, that will be reflected by BDS.

Have a look at this thread for information on finding the OS for which you're looking:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Device-software-for-BlackBerry/How-To-Reload-Your-Operating-S...

If you can't find it from that thread, doing an online search for OS 7.1 might yield some results.

I hope that helps you.  :smileyhappy:

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

Please use plain text.