Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: Bell
Accepted Solution

Problems after update

I updated to OS 7.1.0 Bundle 2840 and was having problems with freezing and the battery draining.  I spoke to tech support at my carrier, who suggested I wipe the phone and restore (this has NEVER worked to correct a problem with any of the many BBs I've had).  I then downgraded back to OS 7.1.0 Bundle 1646 but having the same problems.  The clock comes up every 2 seconds (literally), the phone freezes and the battery dies withing a couple of hours. 

HELP!!

Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV; BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2639; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: Problems after update

How long did you give the device after doing the update? Often the device is scanning the media card and doing other tasks after an update or OS reload.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Get 15% off a new BlackBerry device from ShopBlackberry! Use discount code vj7wgxj9w (Limited time only!!!)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Contributor

I'm not sure what you mean by how long did I "give it".  I did the downgrade overnight.  I think I started it around midnight Saturday and didn't touch it again until Sunday morning.

Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV; BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2639; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

Please tell me exactly what you did when you did the "downgrade." Did you restore your backup file after the downgrade?

Several things can cause this. As I mentioned, the device attempting to read the media card can do this. I recommend making a backup of everything on your media card and then reformat it. Then copy ONLY the files you have to have back to the card. If that doesn't help make a full backup of the device using Desktop Software and then do a security wipe and see if the problems persist.

My guess is something on the media card is causing the device to search it constantly. If you were on OS 7.0 and went to 7.1 reformatting the media card will likely solve your problems.
Get 15% off a new BlackBerry device from ShopBlackberry! Use discount code vj7wgxj9w (Limited time only!!!)
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Contributor

What did I do?  Well, I clicked on the thing that said "downgrade" and it started to reformat.  I didn't do another restore because all of the information was still there when it finished the downgrade (and the upgrade as well).  I went from one 7.1 bundle to another - not 7.0. 

I'm not very technical - is it possible to give me a step-by-step of what you want me to do?  Sorry Smiley Sad

Guru II

thank you for the more detailed information. That helps.

Please do me a favor and remove the black media memory card from your device and tell me if the problem persists.
Contributor

[ Edited ]

I took out the media card and restarted without it in and nope, no more constant clock.  You're very smart!

So what do I do now?  Put the media card back in?  I have no idea how to reformat it.

Contributor

Although it still does appear to be a bit slower than it should be.

Contributor

Re: Problems after update Part Deux

Well, a new day and a new problem.  The clock isn't contstantly coming up because I took out the media card, but the battery is still draining quickly.  Between 8:00 AM and 11:45 AM I hardly used the phone and it went down to about 30%.  It was frozen so I did a battery pull and now it's red.  Also the phone is getting very hot.

Guru II

Remove the battery. While holding down the back key reinsert the battery. Continue to hold the back key for another 20-30 seconds. This will boot the device in safe mode. See if the problem persists. If the problem goes away that means one of your 3rd party apps is to blame.