Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Developer
MedNez
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Push email/checking email without BIS?

Hey

Is it possible to use push email (or use the inbuilt mail client) without a BIS data plan?

Long story short - the only carrier I have the option of has standard data plans for phones, but not BB data plans. 

Wondering if I get a Bold, whether I can still use my email (which is what I need it for more than the net), or if it's going to be a paperweight.

Does anyone not use push email?

Thanks

Med

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Strawberrywine

Re: Push email/checking email without BIS?

Some carriers have applications that will allow you to add emails to the device for a monthly service charge. You can check into that on your carriers applications on their website. Typically they range from 1.99-19.99 a month depending on the plan. Some will only bring over net mail and mess with the HTML coding. In that case, I'd call it a paper weight

;-)

Please use plain text.
Contributor
ranilib

There are a few methods to use features of the BB without the BB data plan, however most of them don't give you a good experience of the phone.

You can use Tiggitmail which downloads IMAP/POP without BB data plan.

Also the GMail Mobile client can be used without a BB mobile plan.

As for browsing - when under Wifi coverage you can use the Hotspot browser built in the BB, and where you only have UMTS/HSDPA coverage you can use Opera Mini.

--

Ran.

Please use plain text.
New Developer
MedNez

Thank you ranilib =)

Just thought I should update this in case it helps anyone in future. Might help someone else who doesn't have/can't get a BB data plan.

I have a standard data plan. Not a Blackberry data plan.

I have Opera Mini to surf the net while out and about, and the WiFi browser as an alternative if there's a hotspot somewhere.

I have the Gmail application to check my mail - it polls every 20 minutes which is fine. I don't need it to update me any faster. 

Google Maps works well with my inbuilt GPS - pins my location to within 5-10m.

Cheers =)

Please use plain text.
vivek-25631
My Device: BB Curve 9220
My Carrier: Loop Mobile

had the same issue. but it got resolved coz of you guyz... but cn u tell me how can u use google maps in bb? i'm havng bb 9220 n a gprs plan 

Please use plain text.