Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
palmtree8
My Device: Bold 9780
My Carrier: None

Put a new SIM card, then put the old one back, and BBM stopped working. Why?!

Hi guys...

I have an unlocked Telus Blackberry device (Bold 9780). I once stayed in Indonesia for 5 months (Sep 2012 till Feb 2013), and while there I used a SIM card from a local Indonesian carrier (called Telkomsel). The Telkomsel SIM has BIS.

When I returned to Canada at end of Feb 2013, I still kept the Indonesian SIM card inside the phone, and to my (pleasant) surprise, BBM still worked, but only on wifi though, which is pretty good.

Then 2 days ago I put a Rogers SIM (it's got BIS) (I won't explain why I put the Rogers SIM as it's irrelevant -- don't want to bore you guys with a lengthy message. But if you need to know why, I will gladly tell you later), and then when I put the Telkomsel SIM card back, BBM stopped working....even it won't work on wifi either......how come..?! What exactly do I need to do to get BBM working again when using the Telkomsel SIM card while on wifi in Canada?

I did some research online, and I have learnt that probably the problem happened because as soon as I put the Rogers SIM, it wiped out the Telkomsel Host Routing Table? Do you guys think so too?

I already went to the "Host Routing Table" setting on my BB and did "Register Now", but it didn't help....the HRT is still empty. The battery pull-out didn't help either.

Cheers! =)

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.1.3247), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Put a new SIM card, then put the old one back, and BBM stopped working. Why?!

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Given what you describe, it's possible that the automatic shifting between carriers has, for some reason, failed. To force it, you have to WIPE your BB and start over, with your desired SIM in place. To prepare for that, be sure you conduct a full and proper backup...you can find instructions via the link in my auto-sig on this post.

It's also possible that one of the carriers has kept your BB PIN locked into their system, and until they release it, no other carrier can provide you BIS services. You'd have to ring them up to get them to do so...it's likely the last carrier from which you were receiving proper BIS services.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Technical Advisor (Retired)
ViciousFerret
My Device: Q10/Q5/Z10/9930/9860/9310

Re: Put a new SIM card, then put the old one back, and BBM stopped working. Why?!

Hey palmtree8,

Thanks for posting the issue.

I have checked the PIN number and there is a few issues.

Currently there is no data services between the BlackBerry Infrastructure and also you're not using the latest version of BlackBerry device software for the BlackBerry Bold 9780 smartphone.

I would first suggest creating a backup of your data through BlackBerry Desktop Software (Device>Backup) and then follow this KB article on how to update your software: www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB16068

Once completed, do you receive 3G or EDGE with the BlackBerry symbol beside the signal?  Also is the host routing table still cleared?

If it is still cleared, I would suggest contacting your network service provider and ask to be transferred to BlackBerry so we can further investigate.

Thank you.

-ViciousFerret

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on Twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Click  Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
palmtree8
My Device: Bold 9780
My Carrier: None

Hi sdgardne and ViciousFerret,

Thanks so much for the insights :smileyhappy:. I will do exactly what you guys suggested, but I'll probably wait till end of Wednesday....the reason is because I already contacted Telkomsel yesterday to see if they could help, and they asked me to call back on Wednesday to see if they could do smth to help me out.

To ViciousFerret:

You said "Currently there is no data services between the BlackBerry Infrastructure" ===> but how come though...? My Telkomsel SIM card does have BIS.....(which is why before messing up with the Rogers SIM, I was able to use BBM, although only on wifi. When I was in Indonesia, I could use BBM even WITHOUT wifi.....i.e.: it worked with 3G too)

And also "If it is still cleared, I would suggest contacting your network service provider and ask to be transferred to BlackBerry so we can further investigate." ===> when you said network service provider, did you mean Telkomsel or Rogers...? Just to clarify, I don't have any Blackberry plan with any Canadian carrier.....(I'm with Bell, but that's for my iPhone, and that's it...)

More curious newbie questions:

1. My Telkomsel SIM doesn't even roaming plans.....how come (before this ordeal happened) my BBM worked on wifi? Did I just get lucky, or is BBM in fact designed/engineered to work with wifi?

2. You guys are so knowledgeable.....are you RIM engineers? =)

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Technical Advisor (Retired)
ViciousFerret
My Device: Q10/Q5/Z10/9930/9860/9310

Hey palmtree8,

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Since the main issue is the Rogers SIM card, I would suggest contacting Rogers.  Also BlackBerry data services are determined by the SIM card so it was working in Indonesia as you stated.  It seems to be a network handshake issue to the BlackBerry infrastructure.

I can not answer your question about roaming plans as this is controlled by the network service provider.

Your last question, I do work for BlackBerry and i'm here to help :smileyhappy:

-ViciousFerret

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on Twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Click  Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

Please use plain text.