Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
crado465
My Device: Curve 9300 3G
My Carrier: AT+T

REM Files from previous BB

I dropped BB-Curve in ocean.  I found it but It does not work, but the media card works and has pictures and videos that are encryted (i.e:  they are all .REM).  I got a replacement BB-Bold.  Is there any way to recover these documents?

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: REM Files from previous BB

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Here is a KB that discusses that situation:

• KB25484 Expectations when encryption is enabled for a media card in a BlackBerry smartphone

Hopefully it contains something useful! There also are multiple existing threads on this site that discuss that exact error...your review of those might prove useful, and a search of this site, using the error message, error code, or symptom, should reveal all applicable existing threads to you.

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
crado465
My Device: Curve 9300 3G
My Carrier: AT+T

Thanks so much for your response.   My issue is stll not resolved.  I would think this is a common issue - i.e.:  old BB broke, new BB needs to read docs from encrypted media card from old BB.  See what I did below.

I put media card in my new Bold BB and upon starting got this msg:

"A media card has been inserted that contains encrypted files which will be unaccessible by this device.  Please place media card in the original device to access those files"

The original device does not work, so not an option.

I went to Options/Encryption and got this msg:

"The media card is already secured by another device.  To enable file encryption, the media card must be formated by this device."

I did not do this as my understanding is that formatting the media card will result in losing everything.

You provided KB25484 which had the following point: 

"After media card encryption is enabled, if the media card is moved to a different BlackBerry smartphone, the password will be needed to access the existing files."

My new Bold BB did not ask me for a password, only the msg above.  How can I get to a point where it asks for a password, if that is at all possible.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Therefore, I would conclude that, on the old device, you used options regarding the encryption that forbid migrating to another device (e.g., you did not secure them with a password, but perhaps used a different set of selections on that device). As such, these files are now not usable for any purpose whatsoever (since the originating BB is now non-functional).

Encryption is a serious security feature to choose to use. I'm very sorry, but it appears to me, based on what you've reported, that you have permanently lost access to these files...security is one of the hallmarks of BB devices, and the simple migratory nature of SD cards requires very strict enforcement in order to maintain that security.

Good luck, and I'm sorry for your loss.

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.