Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
jigzstar
My Device: Bold 9900

Reboot cycle when restoring

I've got a Bold 9900 and over the last few days it started occasionally rebooting for no reason, and then yesterday it got stuck in an infinite cycle and I couldn't do anything. After 7 straight hours I managed to catch it on long enough to back up to my desktop software and perform a security wipe, which completely fixed the problem.

However when I tried to restore from backup, it kicked off the reboot cycle again. There's some data on that backup that I really need, I did another security wipe and the phone is fully functional again, but is there a way I can restore or access some or all of the data from the backup without it messing up my phone again?

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Elite II
prince2012
My Device: Curve

Re: Reboot cycle when restoring

Hi jigzstar

Welcome to BlackBerry Support Forums

If your device is rebooting constantly then we should try an OS reload which will fix any software glitch rather then wiping your device again and again .

Regarding your current issue , don't try to restore everything from those backup but use selective restore . To do that connect your device and run desktop software > Click on Device > Select Restore >  Selected data > Scroll down and select only those that you want > then apply.

However .. if your device reboots again while doing so then you should consider OS Reload .

Or if you used BlackBerry protect then you can use it to restore your data OTA to your BlackBerry , but it depends which data you're referring !

KB25063  : How to use BlackBerry Protect to restore data to a BlackBerry smartphone

Good luck.

Click " Like " if you want to Thank someone.
If Problem Resolves mark the post(s) as " Solution ", so that other can make use of it.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
jigzstar

Thanks for your help, I'll try the selective restore and see if it helps.

If it comes to having to reload the OS, how exactly do I go about doing that?

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
jigzstar

Thanks - the selective restore worked and my phone returned to fully functional state with the data I required.

However, when I have put in my memory card and put the battery back in my phone it has begun the reboot cycle again - do I just need a new memory card?? Or do I just need to do the OS reload?

Please use plain text.
Elite II
prince2012

Hi jigzstar

You are most welcome .. I am glad you're able get your data from those backups.

jigzstar wrote:

However, when I have put in my memory card and put the battery back in my phone it has begun the reboot cycle again - do I just need a new memory card?? Or do I just need to do the OS reload?

First try to format your old media card after a backup of that , If your device still reboots then probably you first try with a good quality media card which may resolve your issue before considering an OS reload .

Try it and let us know.

If Problem Resolves mark the post(s) as " Solution ", so that other can make use of it.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
jigzstar

Hi,

Thanks so much for your help so far. My phone has been pretty much working fine the last few days but since last night has restarted itself once or twice for no reason, so I'm worried it's going to just end up in an infinite cycle again.

Can you please tell me exactly how I reload my OS? Especially if it's in a cycle and I can't do anything with it, I really don't have a clue about these things so I've literally no idea where to start.

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Elite II
prince2012

Hi jigz

If you again having simplar issue can you confirm if you formated that media card ? If not then do a backup of your device including Media card . Once you have your backup  format the media card. For instructions, see KB10527.

If even after formatting your device reboots then you should try an OS reload but always after a full backup of your device using desktop software .

KB12487 :  How  backup BlackBerry smartphone Data using BlackBerry desktop software for Windows

Then follow this Knowledge Base and perform a clean OS reload :

KB11320 : How to perform a clean reload of the BlackBerry Device software using BlackBerry desktop software for windows

After a Reload , before restoring anything first check if your BlackBerry back to normal or reboot ceases. If issue resolves then don't restore everything from your backup files , use selective restore . Restore only your contacts , Calenders , etc . You can Install your apps from BlackBerry world but Install one application at a time , it will let you know if any application is the cause of this problem because sometime a bad application may also be the cause of such problem .

So try it and let us know of your progress.

Please use plain text.