Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

FB123
My Device: Blackberry 9900 Bold

Receiving another person's email on my BB - Carrier is next to useless

Hi.

I am an absolute beginner with BB so please excuse me if I seem a little naive in terms of BB use.

Basically, I  just bought a BB Bold 9900 in Hong Kong and activated it in Beijing (where I live) through a China Mobile Data plan. Once activated i received 48 messages meant for someone else living in England by the looks of it, and I have received more every day since. I really don't want to be receiving other people's messages and have tried to email this person to find out what the situation is with no reply. A major concern is that if I am receiving her emails, then she is receiving mine! At first I thought the messages were old and had sat on the server until I opened the data plan (and, perhaps it was used) but I then received a Google Calendar appointment for this person today today and the emails all seem to be recent which i fell very uncomfortable with..

I have trawled some forums and seen some interesting suggestions such as the obvious 'stolen' or 'used' to cloned. The phone was in mint condition and the BB products appear to work - as far as I am aware - and the phone pushes through the emails from my own account as i had expected. My carrier is not very helpful, nor were they when I got the plan. It is an iPhone/S4 world here and no one knows or cares to know much about how BB works. They just say it is the phone, and hang up.

I was wondering if anyone else had any suggestions as to what this could be and how it could be resolved?

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
jwillisbarrie
My Device: Bold 9700

Re: Receiving another person's email on my BB - Carrier is next to useless

Is this a new BB or a used one. If a new one I have no idea. You can stop reading.

If used - On the Bold 9700 - I just gave mine to my Mom. I had to do security wipe of the email. When this is done, then setup for you.

If you are attempting to use a different BlackBerry ID, ownership must be removed for the currently assigned BlackBerry ID. I am thinking that the previous user info may have been left on the phone.

BlackBerry smartphone must be security wiped before transferring ownership - see KB28225

BlackBerry Internet Service email delivery will no longer be stopped when a Subscriber Identity Module (SIM) swap or carrier change occurs. This means that if a user removes the SIM and transfers ownership of the BlackBerry smartphone to a new user, the first user's BlackBerry Internet Service email, including address book and calendar updates will continue to be delivered to the BlackBerry smartphone after the new user inserts a new SIM and powers on the BlackBerry smartphone. If the BlackBerry smartphone doesn't use a SIM, the same will be true after the user contacts a new carrier and activates service with the new carrier.

To do a wipe and just make sure that email is selected and then you will have to set up your email again.

: To perform a Security Wipe, see KB14058 

Jim

Please use plain text.
FB123
My Device: Blackberry 9900 Bold

Re: Receiving another person's email on my BB - Carrier is next to useless

HI,

Thanks for the reply. I bought the phone new, as far as I am aware and was told, and it was out of the box looking as such. Everything seems to add up I.e. the carrier number is for HK and the voice data record was low ( I looked after using it so I assumed it was my own use). If it were used - which I would find hard to believe - I can't understand how the person I am receiving emails from is in the UK while I got the phone in HK.

I will try the security swipe. But first If I back up what I have on the phone now through my PC - as I have saved a lot of contacts and apps on in the first week of use - would that negate the security swipe when I re-add them onto the phone. I.e. would the old email settings be placed back on the phone too if that were actually the problem?

I will give it a try. Thanks.

Please use plain text.