Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Bell - Canada

Red LED flashes 1 long 3 short - Phone is not even recognized via USB

As the subject says; Bold 9900 (with a dead battery) doesn't turn to life. Gives red LED flashes pattern as 1 long 3 short flashes. Cannot connect to the desktop manager or the apploader. No ding sound when connected to the desktop via usb cable. Tried with and without battery installed. Tried another battery, another cable, another laptop and differnt wall chargers. Researched almost every single fourm. Some suggest the above mentioned tricks which are not worling, obviously. Others suggest to throw the phone in the nearest bin and get a new phone (which is usually not a blackberry).

Can anyone, specially from RIM, who has a better understanding, tell us what is the problem diagnostic? and what are the possible solutions, if any?!

Thanks.

Mohamed

Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z30/Z10/Q10 (10.3.1.2744), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Red LED flashes 1 long 3 short - Phone is not even recognized via USB

Hello,

Let's start here:

Mohamed_Mahmoud wrote:

Can anyone, specially from RIM, who has a better understanding, tell us what is the problem diagnostic? 

The answer to that question is no...this site is a user-to-user community, not a user-to/from-RIM channel for any support or communications. Hence, no one from RIM can answer.

But, given your description, I cannot quite tell if you've exactly followed some procedures that I normally recommend in this circumstance. So, at the risk of being redundant, please review these:

Please try this sequence...note that, throughout the entire 4h15m process, your BB must remain connected to a known-good wall charger (not PC USB):

1. With the battery inside, connect your BB to the wall charger
  2. Leave it alone for 2 hours, no matter what the LED or the display does
  3. Remove the battery
  4. Wait 15 minutes
  5. Insert the battery
  6. Wait another 2 hours, no matter what the LED or the display does

This has been known to "kick start" some BBs.

It is also possible that your battery or BB has experienced a problem...to test, this sequence is needed:

1. Obtain a known good and already fully charged additional battery...use it in your BB and see what happens
  2. Obtain access to a known good and identical BB...use your battery in it and see what happens

The results of this will indicate if it's your BB or your battery that has the problem.

Further, I cannot tell if you've exactly tried what these various articles discuss:

In all recovery attempts involving the Desktop Software, it would be most effective if you install, to your PC, both the latest RIM Desktop Software AND your presently installed BB OS package. You may have a challenge discovering what OS is installed to your BB, in which case you would need to just choose one that is a) from your carrier and b) their latest version for your BB Model. You can download BB OS packages from here:

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Bell - Canada

Thanks a lot for your relpy. I followed the steps you mentioned but it didn't work. No luck!

Looks like it's a hardware related issue. Thanks anyway ...

Highlighted
Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z30/Z10/Q10 (10.3.1.2744), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

You are most welcome...good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: Rogers

did anything ever come of your inquiry? im having the exact same issue now - phone is useless and the advice on how to fix it is too. All I have is an expesive flashing led light - one slow and 3 quick on repeat....