Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
execucon
Accepted Solution

Rejecting PIN asking to enter "blackberry"

Hi guys... I have a problem on my new (three months old) Bold 9000 that is actually a repeat of a similar problem I have had on an earlier model. One of the kids was playing with the phone when it was locked - not uncommon! When I went to use it (by entering the phone pin (ten attempts) NOT the sim card pin it came up with the "unlock" screen as normal then the enter password screen as normal. When I entered the normal (unchanged) phone PIN it came up with Enter Password 7/10 - again I guessed ... youngest daughter has been playing with phone ... no big deal have three attmepts to enter the PIN or so I thought!

Entered the USUAL PIN at attempy 7 of 10.  Except there were no asteriks to match each key stroke as per normal but the corresponding LETTERS of my four digit PIN - attempt 7 gone.

So I do the same thing again.. thinking ok I'll use the shift key to get the numbers of my PIN.

Get the same "enter balckberry" message so enter "blackberry".. get to enter PIN attmept 8 of 10.. use the shift key to enter my four digit PIN except this time i get the NUMBERS not the asterisks.

Rejected again....

Spend the next FOUR hours on the phone to call centres in Countries I have not even heard of trying to understand the people on the other end all of who had no idea!!!

Remove the battery while phon e ON.. wait 30 seconds... NO DIFFERENCE

Turn off and remove battery... wait five minutes... NO DIFFERENCE and all along the Blackberry support people are saying "sorry nothing we can do you need a new phone!!!!"

You all know the ending...reset phone... loose all the data (and of course not recently backed up) and start again! Phone is perfact again... BUT surely this is not an isolated porblem nor can it be acceptable...

I understand people will play with the PIN number that's what it's for but surely if you enter the correct one within the 10 attempts you have it should be fine and before someone says "what if whoever played with it changed the PIN... my issue is how can that happen without putting the correct PIN in first???

Would welcome any comments. thoughts. suggestions as this is the SECOND Blackberry this has happenned to.

Thanks to all for your contributions....

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
OzBBerry42

Re: Rejecting PIN asking to enter "blackberry"

[ Edited ]

Hello,

problem is partially to do wuith the terminology.

The SIM Card has a PIN

The Blackberry screen will ask you for a PASSWORD.

If ther screen says "Enter password (7/10)" then it is asking for the password, not the PIN.

Once you get past the halfway mark (5 of 10, or 3 of 5) , the device knows your having issues and will show the letters, not the stars.

Now if you still get it wrong then what you think your typing is not what the password is.

Its a common occurrence...

Yes, I know you said it wasnt the PIN, but I GUARANTEE it was one of Two issues:

1) Your were entering the PIN and should have enbtered the password, or vice versa - again, watch the screen display)

2) if your password is 1234 and you entered that and it was wrong,then it wasnt EVER 1234, but actually "wers"  the letters corresponding to the numbers...

Message Edited by OzBBerry42 on 09-08-2009 11:22 AM

Checked out my Blackberry FAQ's and Links to Needed Articles here
http://darkeen.homelinux.com/index.php/Blackberryfaq
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
execucon

Hello Oz,

Thank you so much for your reply.

I understand what you're saying and yes my issue is with the Blackberry Password not the SIM Card PIN.

In my case I use the SAME four character code for both and type them in the same way (without the SHIFT key)

So here's my issue in two of my futile attempts to resolve this issue I used BOTH the usual / normal FOUR characters I always used as the "password" without the shift key AS WELL AS on the next attempt with the shift key - so again it makes no sense because it should have accepted ONE of them.

I also have noticed that since I reset the device to factory settings and went to synchornise with my desk top and reload my data the screen (ie my desk top PC) is askign me for a PIN number which I always entered my device "password" into but it is NOT accepting it even though it is the SAME password as my handset and my handset is working fine and accepting it.

Sorry for being so dim but what am I missing?

Thanks again for your time in this....

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
execucon

Oz, You were spot on with your comments re passowrd and pin but missed a really important step. You need to shut down (ie remove battery while device is on) for at least FIVE minutes not the 60 seconds the help desks advise you to and once you reboot the devide will accept the actual PASSWORD (not numbers but actual characters programmed on set up) and will unlock. This did not save my bold but it did work on my old Blackberry (8700) that had done exactly the same thing and was on password 10/10 - so I had nothing to loose - and it worked fine. Thank you so much... !
Please use plain text.
jayjohnson

I'm having the same problem. bt what ur suggesting me to do isnt working. And i know what my password is i have to use it 100 times a day its a blackberry tour i was trying to sync it with my computer and back up my data.  

I think there's a problem somewhere in that process i know of people who had the same exact problem i'm on attempt (9/10) and i refuse to lose my last ones!!!!

PLEASE somebody HELP!!!  

Please use plain text.
jayjohnson

Did u find a solution for ur problem?  i'm having the same exact one with 2 attempts left

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Carrier: TMobile USA

jayjohnson wrote:

Did u find a solution for ur problem?  i'm having the same exact one with 2 attempts left

Hi there...

FYI, you can "refuse" all you want, but the BB will enforce it's built in security features...there is no back door password. There is no secret way to avoid it. If you fail to enter the password correctly the 10th time, your BB will wipe clean. No choices. Zero. Nada.

Now, what typically also happens here is that one thinks that they are typing some characters on their BB yet they are actually typing something else. This is why it changes to display the clear text of the password being typed during the process...to help you know exactly what you are typing.

The counters for the desktop tether password and the on-device password are the same...if you fail twice via USB and then twice more direct on the device, that will be 4 failures in a row. One must get the password entered correctly in one of those interfaces in order to reset the counter back to zero.

If you are 100% positive that you know your device password and can key it in correctly on the device, then by all means do so and get the counter reset. Also watch very carefully what the actual characters are on the screen...it is quite common for folks to discover that they had some key modifier on the device (shift, alt, etc.) for the password and what they thought they were keying in truly was not the case...and hence keying that in via the USB/PC interface generates a failure.

Again, there is no way around this...you must enter the correct password via one of the interfaces before the 10th failure or your BB will wipe clean. Period.

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
daisym
My Carrier: Vodafone

Thanks for the advice above, it completely saved my Blackberry Bold.  I thought password was 130965, so kept entering 130965 (by holding the shift key to give me the numbers), but...having used the advice above, I used the corresponding letters instead of numbers, so I:

1.  turned the phone off for FIVE minutes (not 30 seconds), then;

2.  entered the numbers as normal, but you will see letters come up instead of numbers (or asterisks).

We jumped for joy, as this was the TENTH attempt!

Thanks to everyone who contributed above, as it would have been a total nightmare, had I lost everything because, like most people, I hadn't backed up a thing!!!

Please use plain text.
punit7

ahh **bleep** had this opened up in  firefox did not read it fully and ......blackberry wiped

then realised that along the password i thought i had in numbers was actually the corresponding numbers!!!!!!!!!!!!!! what a joke i didnt know this and have been using my bb for nearly 12 months easy mistake because when creating your password its hidden behind the asteriks so you could think your typing in a number but its actually a letter

short point blackberry should not use asteriks to cover the password when its being made. the problem is so stupid i feel foolish but it seems to have caught some people out too which

ANYWAY IF YOU HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM its probably a good idea to try the letters of the corresponding password before the attempts get run out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please use plain text.
Visitor
aliamer

I must appreciate the feedback on this blog which has just saved my data on BB bold 900 on the last final attempt .Thanks ALL

Please use plain text.