Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

Contributor
ericli968
My Device: Bold
Accepted Solution

Retrieve contact information

My two months new 9900 dead on me yesterday.  I am told there is a short on the system board and BB will not power up.  I need to get my contact information and some data in my BB back up somewhere until I receive my new phone, anyway I can do it?

I tried many ways including remove battery and connect to USB, I also have my 9900 charged for more than 10 hours already ...  Still no power.

Thank you.

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Re: Retrieve contact information

Hello,

As with insurance, the time to do something about backing up your data is BEFORE the problems arise. If your BB has a short and will not power up, then there is nothing that can overcome that hardware problem. You should have, upon immediately receiving your BB, begun using the various FREE methods that RIM provides to back up your data...I do hope you will do so once your BB is repaired or replaced.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor
ericli968
My Device: Bold

Well, I did back up weekly unfortuantely this problem happen before I have a chance to do the next back up ...  Guess was my luck.  Thank you and **bleep** BB.

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

You are welcome, I guess.

But cursing RIM is hardly fair (nor civil -- thankfully our site has filters!). After all, devices designed and built by humans are, by definition, incapable of achieving perfection; the defect rate will always be greater than zero. Yes, it is unlucky that you are falling into that small percentage, but it is hardly outside the bounds of reasonable expectation (IMHO).

A tip regarding backups...use BB Protect daily (at night, when you are asleep, and preferably connected to WiFi) and the Desktop Software no less frequently than weekly. That way, you have two levels of protection...always wise with computing devices. Also, use a Desktop PIM (e.g., Outlook) as your master calendar/contacts data source (synchronizing tethered via the Desktop Software, or OTA via GMail/Yahoo). Never treat your BB (or any other SmartPhone, for that matter) as your "master" data storage source.

Good luck!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
marth
My Device: Bold 9900

So to confirm, does this mean that when the phone dies that all the data on it dies too? Is there any way of retrieving it if it's not backed up? Anything at all I can do?

Thanks.

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

marth wrote:

So to confirm, does this mean that when the phone dies that all the data on it dies too? Is there any way of retrieving it if it's not backed up? Anything at all I can do?

Thanks.

Well, like so many things, it depends on the meaning of the word "dies". If the BB will not boot up into any mode (e.g., normal versus Safe) and stay up for enough time to use the user-available tools to retrieve the data, then yes there is no way. But, if the BB can at least be booted up SAFE, then the user-obtainable toolsets can retrieve the data.

That said, the device does use Flash Memory, which is not normally wiped when power is removed. But extracting data from the internally-installed Flash Memory is a job for paid professionals...I've never had to use such, but I've heard they can charge many hundreds of US dollars to even make the attempt, with no guarantee of any success. Further, I've no idea about the actual "usability" of the extracted data...using non-BB tools to extract data could result in a bunch of 0's and 1's, but no coherent method of making those human-intelligible.

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
marth
My Device: Bold 9900

Thanks, yes it wont boot up at all, so getting to the conclusion that I have lost all the data.

Thank you!

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

You are welcome.

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates