Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
harvard468
My Device: Bold 8780
My Carrier: TESCO/02
Accepted Solution

SYNCHING WITH OUTLOOK

Trying to synch my Outlook with my personal BB Bold 8780.  E-mails fine as direct to provider.

Using BB Desktop manager - Calendar synchs fine, all software up to date but when I try and synch the contacts it stops at 657 out of 1250 and freezes.

Have to use Ctrl/alt/del to clear from computer and reboot BB.

Tried everything.

Any ideas?

stephen

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
unleashurself
My Device: 9780
My Carrier: Bharti-Airtel

Re: SYNCHING WITH OUTLOOK

Hi & Welcome to the community..!

I have also faced this issue few months back but mine contacts were apprx 3000, the only thing help me was PC restart, you may also try by doing this.

Ensure Desktop manager is also of lastest version..!!

Hope this will help you too...!!

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
harvard468

Thanks.  Restarted and made no difference.  Still froze up - at 656/1266 this time.

Tried it with my Bold 9900 - exactly the same - at the same point.

Can't figure out what to do and don't know any other way to get my contacts on my phone.

STEPHEN B

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,894
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Stephen,

You've a corrupt contact, it sounds like.

You need to find which one, and that may not be easy. Perhaps there is an attachment to one (or more) contacts making this fail

In your Outlook, there is a way to view your contacts in a spreadsheet view, and then you click on the "attachments" column and sort so that you can see any with attachments at the top of the list. Delete those attachments.

You can also save your Outlook contacts to an ASCII CSV file, and that will remove any attachments. Then, you can sync that CSV file to your BlackBerry through the Desktop Software. If you need help with that, please post back.

Of course, there could be some other corruption, but the above is the most likely.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
harvard468

Thanks for the advice.  Deleted the contacts with attachments - 3 of them.  Same problem.

Tried all I could.  Found a O rather than a 0 in a no. made no difference  Still freezes now at 649/1247.  There must be a corrupt contact but damned if I kinow hoe to find it!

Regards

STEPHENB

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
harvard468

Further ot my earlier post - please can you help me sunching back usinfg the ASCII CSV file?

Many thanks

STEPHENB

Please use plain text.
JSanders

OK.

You will export your Outlook file to an XLS or CSV file. You can check your Help in Outlook for that.

At that point, you should have pretty clean data, no attachments, etc. You can also sort your data now in excel to find any additional odd things, like O for 0, etc.

With the CSV file, you can now sync back to the BlackBerry device.

Article ID: KB11194 How to import contacts from an already created CSV file to the BlackBerry smartphone

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
harvard468

Dear Mr Sanders, Thanks for your help.  I have sorted the problem:. 

Having deleted all attachments and those contacts which looked odd, I was no furtjher forward  My last synch froze at entry 525 out of 1026.

So I exported the contact list as a csv file, scrolled down to row 526 (the titles are on row 1), identified this contact which I am assuming was corrupted in some way, but I looked at every part of it and couldn't see where.  I then returned to Outlook Contacts and deleted it.  Success - synched perfectly then.

It seems that the synch is done in the same order as the date is stored (and exported), but not necessarily displayed in any of the formats you can use in Outlook Contacts. So by the above method you can find a rogue contact.  I am sure this problem must have been encountered many times before.

By the way - the link in your message (KB11194) gives help for Desktop Manager versions up to 6.0.  The current one I have is 7.1, so the note may need updating.

I hope my feedback is helpful and thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

Best wishes

STEPHEN B

Please use plain text.
JSanders

Great, glad you got it sorted. You're welcome, thanks for the update.

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
harvard468

Another little issue.  I have got my BB to synch with my e-mail account in-box, but the e-mails I send on my BB don't appear on my computer and vice versa.  I don't have BB Enterprise - just ordinary e-mail pick up.  Is this normal?

Regards

STEPHEN B

Please use plain text.