Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

Contributor
DW62
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9780
Accepted Solution

Screen has locked itself and wont let me unlock it

Hi all, I need help if possible please. My BB has been working fine. It's set to ask for a password if its been untouched for 10 mins and I've never had a problem with that. I do sometimes lock the keyboard by pushing the button top left, but again that's never been a problem. Right now the screen is blank. If I push the ball or any keys, nothing happens. If I plug in a charger the clock comes up, but still nothing works. If I remove the charger I then briefly see the screen and if I'm lucky pushing the ball brings up the "device is locked" screen with options saying unlock, emergency or cancel - but it stubbornly refuses to respond to pressing anything else, goes dim and then goes blank again. The battery has lots of power (it wasn't flat but has been charging anyway) and I've tried removing both the battery and sim card several times - all without success. Does anyone know how to overcome this please?

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
cuse165
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9930,Blackberry Playbook(32GB)

Re: Screen has locked itself and wont let me unlock it

First if you can back up you Blackberry using the desktop software so you do not lose anything. It sounds like the phone has something wrong with it. Did you drop it or anything? You could tell to restore your phone using a back up image.

................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
Please give me Kudos if you feel like I helped you

Thank you
cuse165
Please use plain text.
Contributor
DW62

Hi. Thanks for the quck reply. No, not dropped it or done anything at all which would damage it. I've never connected it to the pc before, but I tried this evening and the pc isn't seeing it.

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
cuse165

Have you installed Blackberry desktop software? Also to try to get your pc to see it you neede install the BB drivers by plugging it in to the pc and do a Windows Update.

................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Thank you
cuse165
Please use plain text.
Contributor
DW62

No, I'll need to find where to install the blackberry desktop software from as I have no CD at home (its in the office if I have it at all). I'll try that and revert tomorrow if no joy - its bedtime! Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
cuse165

Okay you can do that or install the latest updated one from Blackberry.com the click Apps&Software at the top.

Thank you
cuse165
Please use plain text.
Contributor
DW62

Wherever I just downloaded it from it had an installation problem. I'm trying blackberry.com now

Please use plain text.
Contributor
DW62

actually it was from the right site, i got confused by the RIM reference. I'll have to try again.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
DW62

The desktop software installed fine at 2nd attemplt. Have connected phone and the pc is currently installing device driver software

Please use plain text.
Contributor
DW62

[ Edited ]

Ok, pc is seeing the phone. It will backup (it says) but I still can't  get the keys to work. I told pc to backup and the phone made a noise and brought up the enter password screen. on the pc it says "Device encryption is turned on"  and " Your Blackberry device is currently locked. To continue, unlock your device" - but that's the bit I can't do. Any idea how to overcome this?

Please use plain text.