Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
Prune

Security timeout interrupts bedside clock

[ Edited ]

I got no help from posting about this on other forums, so this is my last chance...

When I turn on bedside clock mode, after the security timeout when the password is engaged, the phone goes to the home screen (locked, ready to have password typed in) and the backlight at the same time comes on but very dim. It remains in this state _indefinitely_. If I click something, the backlight comes fully on, then I enter the password and it goes to the clock but asking me if I want to exit bedside mode. If I click no, the above cycle repeats... How do I fix this? It makes no sense if the password timeout interrupts the bedside clock!

Message Edited by Prune on 09-29-2008 02:09 AM
Please use plain text.
Guru I
Bifocals
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Re: Security timeout interrupts bedside clock

Hi,

I've searched all over the net, saw your posts in Crackberry, and there is no answer.

Nothing overrides the security timeout.

Sorry!

If you need more information, please ask! 

If not, please resolve the post using the options by the kudos’ star. 

Just check the post that had your answer! 

Thanks  

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Prune

[ Edited ]

You say that nothing overrides it.  I didn't mean that the lock should not engage, but that it shouldn't interrupt these apps.  The MSN app (Live Messenger) for example, stays logged in when the device locks.

Is there perhaps something in the applications permissions (in advanced options) that I might have set wrong?  I don't see the clock listed separately so I'm assuming it's part of the core applications. The default permissions I've set Allow for the Reset Security Timer selection, and also Allow for Device Settings.  I've also noticed that the web browser exits whenever the password locks...

Here are the default permissions, and they're applied on all apps that allow setting of permissions, including the BB Core ones (someone might confirm these are OK?)

USB - Allo

Bluetooth - Allow

Phone - Prompt

Location Data - Prompt

Internet - Prompt

Wi-Fi - Allow

Cross Application Communication - Allow

Device Settings - Allow

Media - Allow

Application Management - Deny

Themes - Allow

Input Simulation - Deny

Browser Filtering - Deny

Recording - Deny

Security Timer Reset - Allow

Email - Allow

Organiizer Data - Deny

Files - Allow

Security Data - Deny

Message Edited by Prune on 10-02-2008 03:35 PM
Please use plain text.
pbossman

I have the same problem.

Has anyone found a solution yet?

The requirement is the ability to have the clock stay visible in bed-time mode even when the screen lock comes on.  The phone can go into lock, but the clock should still be displayed.

Please use plain text.
Developer
mlamagra

Backlight.setTimeout() can only go as high as 255 seconds.  You can use SystemListener to detect when the backlight turns off, and then turn it back on immediately.

In my apps this keeps the screen on, but then the security timer never expires.  As soon as the app does the Backlight.enable(true) the first time, the firewall says it's trying to reset the security timer, so it seems that the backlight timer and security timer are actually 1 timer, which is reset when turning the backlight back on.

This is a real issue with one of my apps, the users want the security lock to engage but the app still on the display.  Would a Development Adviser be so kind as to reply to this?   I've been looking for a way to keep the screen on as above, but read the security timeout and handle that myself with my own timer, then engage the security lock according to the user's settings, but I can't find an API to do this, and it would forcibly block the display once it engaged, wouldn't it?

On computers, screen savers can continue to run despite that the system is locked, and then when the user presses a key a password prompt comes up.  That's what I want to be able to do.  Is this possible on a 'berry?

Thank you!

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
ebundy
My Carrier: Verizon

Anyone come up with a solution to this issue? I just started using the Tour and would like to use bedside mode each night but the password lock keeps returning to the homescreen and leaving the homescreen locked and on all night. So frustrating.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
berrythis11
My Carrier: T-Mobile

If not already done by someone else, how do we file an official bug with RIM?  I really want to see this issue resolved.  Bedside mode is useless to me once the timeout occurs and it takes me to the home screen.  I also have the same issues entering/exiting bedside mode when I wake up.

Does anyone have an alternative to this?  I like the idea of having a clock, alerts silenced and lights dimmed...exactly what bedside mode should do the entire night.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
berrythis11
My Carrier: T-Mobile

After playing with bedside mode, I was able to get it to work exactly as I wanted.  Basically, set the phone to automatically go into bedside mode when hoooked to a charger (only have to do once), lock your phone and then put it on the charger.  This ensure bedside mode will not be interrupted by the security timeout.  And of course, this does require the phone to be on the charger so that it gets into bedside mode while locked.  This might be an issue for people that don't charge their phone over night or while they are using bedside mode.

Please use plain text.