Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

Contributor
tlr1
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Separate SMS & BlackBerry Messenger Messages

Does anyone know how this can be done? My bbm conversations appear in my sms message list, but I want them separated.. I checked out the options, and while you can separate your Emails & SMS, there doesn't seem to be an option to separate SMS from bbm. Just a glitch orrr what???
Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,925
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Separate SMS & BlackBerry Messenger Messages

They are not in the SMS message, they are coming to your main messages folder, which by default collects ALL email, SMS and BlackBerry Messenger messages.

So, to remove SMS to it's own folder:
Open your Messages folder > Press the Menu key > Options > General Options and scroll down to:
Email and SMS inbox = Separate.
And save.

Now, to remove the BlackBerry Messenger messages from the main messages folder, Open BlackBerry Messenger > Menu key > Options > Show Chats in Messages Application, and UNcheck it.

Good luck.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Contributor
tlr1

I upgraded from the curve (had it for 2 yrs) so I know how this should work properly, but it isn't. 'Show chats in messages app' has been unchecked.. And I believed it's unchecked by default, bc I don't think I change it. -sigh- this is annoying. It even plays the bbm alert when I'm receiving a text from a user who happens to be on my messenger. Maybe I should just call the blackberry techs...
Please use plain text.
JSanders

tlr1 wrote:
so I know how this should work properly,

Properly how? If you follow my instructions above, it will.

You probably NOW have BlackBerryMessenger v5 installed (rather than the old version the Curve had) which now integrates the SMS messages INTO the BBM chat window, for threaded SMS features.

Is that your issue?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
JSanders

tlr1 wrote:
  My bbm conversations appear in my sms message list, but I want them separated..

I think you that your SMS appear in your BBMessenger list. Right?

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Contributor
tlr1

Hahaha. Ooooooohhhhhh!!!!!!!! This may be true bc I do remember my bb prompting me to upgrade to the newest version of the bbm. I thought I had the newest version out on this 9700, bc I had the icons & barcode capabilities etc, but I upgraded anyway. Haha. Well damnit. Is there any way I can get that last version back (if this is making any sense)?
Please use plain text.
JSanders

Hmmm.. I honestly don't know. I think that is what came with the 9700 OS.

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
jvjn1512

Agree!  What happened to the original?  I want it back too!  Why can't I get available or unavailable to work now either on bbm?  It always says "available".  Do not like this version!!  

Please use plain text.
Contributor
tlr1

[ Edited ]

I am a friggin genius! I figured it out. Actually, I did some research on another blackberry forums site & got the answer w/o having to re-download an older version of bbm. Here it is, verbatim--

Basically if you have someone who is a BBM contact and they are "linked" to your contacts. If you send or receive a text from them it shows up in BBM. The way to separate the two is to go into BBM, into the contacts section, and for each contact, go to Menu and click "Remove Contacts Link" (it's towards the bottom of the menu). Basically this breaks the link between BBM and SMS. I think the only downside is that if you are using the picture from your contacts for BBM it will no longer appear. Note that if you don't see the option and instead see "Link to BlackBerry Contact" it means the link was never established so there is no need to break it.

Tried it & it works. Greatness!

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
kitching
My Device: Bold 9780
My Carrier: T-Mobile

I don't believe there is a way to separate the two. The BlackBerry Messenger messages and SMS messages will display in the Messages folder together. There is an option in BlackBerry Messenger that controls whether the BlackBerry Messenger messages will display in the Messages folder. You can deselect that so that they don't display in the Messages folder at all, and just read them in BlackBerry Messenger.
Please use plain text.