Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
blommethomas
My Device: Bold 9000

Service Activation needed for calendar / contacts activation

Hi guys/girls,

I'm looking for a solution to sync my calendar with my Blackberry Bold 9000 device after I switched to a BIS service plan at Mobistar recently.

I added my email accounts via mobistar.blackberry.com and mails sync fine but my calendar doesn't which (after googling a bit) I assume has something to do with the following:

To start calendar and contact synchronization for blommethomas@gmail.com, complete the security activation on your BlackBerry® device:
1. On the Home screen, click the Setup icon and click Email Accounts or Email Settings.

2. After you open the application, the security activation starts. When security activation is complete, calendar and contact synchronization automatically begins.

However I don't know where to find this?  I only have an 'Options' icon and no 'Setup' icon.

I tried accessing it by going to my Message Stream -> Options -> Email Settings but that doesn't start any security activation, it just gives me the possiblility to (not) download images or sent delivery notifications.

I also checked out 'Options' in the Calendar Application.  My mailaccount is mentioned there but wireless synchronisation is switched off and I can't switch it on.

Can someone help me with this?

Best,

Thomas

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Re: Service Activation needed for calendar / contacts activation

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

So, if your GMail is properly working for email, then OTA Calendar/Contact Synchronization should be available to you. However, the instructions you read can vary by device OS version.

You need to go into the on-device email setup wizard (wherever that is based on your BB OS) and, within the configuration for your Gmail will be a section that contains tic boxes for calendar and contact synchronization...make sure those are checked and then OTA sync should function. You may have to wait a while for the first sync to complete...I usually recommend waiting 24 hours before trying to troubleshoot.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
blommethomas

In message options I have:

• General options
  • Settings Mailbox IN
  • Email settings
  • Enhanced GMAIL plugin

none of them contains anything about calendar...

In calendar options my ....@gmail.com calendar IS added but if I click it, I only have the following available:

• Color appointments
  • Wireless synchronisation: NO (and I cannot change this)
  • Show notifications: yes
Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Ohhhh...you've got the Enhanced Plugin. I've never bothered using that. I do not recall if it allows or prevents Calendar/Contact sync. And, if you indeed aren't using it, I don't recall how to delete it either. I do know that, without the plugin, calendar and contact sync can work fine via the standard BIS integration with Gmail. But I can't advise you as to what to do given the Enhanced Plugin.

You might try searching both this site as well as the Public KBs.

Sorry...and good luck!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
blommethomas

I removed the Enhanced Plugin using BBSK but still no luck.
Perhaps it's an option to reboot my system?

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Excellent job! I'd forgotten that BBSAK can do that!

With the PlugIn removed, I'd suggest you first ensure that GMail is totally NOT integrated to your BB at all. Check inside the email configuration wizard and delete it if it's there.

Next, I suggest the following steps, in order, even if they seem redundant to what you have already tried (steps 1 and 2 each should result in a message coming to your BB...please wait for that before proceeding to the next step):

1) Register HRT

• KB00510 How to register a BlackBerry smartphone with the wireless network
  • Please wait for one "registration" message to arrive to your Messages app

2) Delete and Resend Service Books

• KB05000Delete the service book for the BlackBerry Internet Service email account from the BlackBerry smartphone
  • If you have no CMIME entry, then skip the deletion
  • KB02830 Send the service books for the BlackBerry Internet Service
  • Please wait for "Activation" Messages, one per already configured email account, to arrive in your Messages. If you have no already configured email accounts, please wait 1 hour.

3) Batt Pull Reboot

• With power ON, remove the back cover and pull out the battery. Wait about a minute then replace the battery and cover. Power up and wait patiently through the long reboot -- ~5 minutes. See if things have returned to good operation. Like all computing devices, BB's suffer from memory leaks and such...with a hard reboot being the best cure.

Now, use the normal non-plugin integration of Gmail and see if you receive the proper Calendar/Contact synchronization check boxes.

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
blommethomas

Thanks, this seemed to have worked.

Wireless Sync is now set to yes, so I'm assuming that my calendar will start syncing soon (message told me this could take 20min)

Just 1 more question:

is it possible to sync multiple online gmail calendar or does it only sync the ...@gmail.com calendar and no calendars shared with me by other people?

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Yay! I'm glad that works...and yes, do wait a while...I'd suggest waiting 24 hours actually before you try to "spot check" entries to see that they are there.

Now the bad news...only the main GMail calendar can sync. No others. You might be able to view those other calendars via the web browser, though.

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.