Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

Randy712
My Device: 9700 bold white

Signal and data transfer problems

Im new to this forum but i have a BB9700white, and am on T-mobile.

Ive had the phone for about 6months without any problems, but over the weekend the phone has started to lose signal very often, resorting to the "searching for signal" sign at the top. Either that, or it is GPRS or even GSM, and now very hardly 3G. The blackberry sign also seems not to appear anymore, and i have major problems with sending blackberry messages or accessing the internet as data transfer doesnt seem to work. All i get is the "red clock" sign upon sending messages.

In areas previously where signal was 5bars 3G and with Blackberry Services Sign, now it is only GPRS with a few bars. I havent dropped or damaged the phone in anyway, just dont know what to do.

Can anyone help?

Elite II
tanzim
My Device: Torch 9800

Re: Signal and data transfer problems

Check the signal strength of other BlackBerry devices in your area. If the strength is same as yours then notify this to your carrier customer service. If network strength is OK then try this -

When you device is POWERED ON, remove the battery for a minute, and then reinsert the battery. This make a reboot to your device which minor issues with the BlackBerry device.

If device reset doesn't resolve the issue then take the device back to store and get it replaced (as per warranty).

tanzim                                                                                  
If your query is resolved then please click on Accept as Solution

Click on the LIKE on the bottom right if the post deserves credit

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Hi there!

I suggest the following steps, in order, even if they seem redundant to what you have already tried (steps 1 and 2 each should result in a message coming to your BB):

1) Register HRT

• Homescreen > Options > Advanced Options > Host Routing Table > blackberry_logo.jpg (it does not matter which line is current) > Register Now

2) Resend Service Books

• KB02830 Send the service books for the BlackBerry Internet Service

3) Batt Pull Reboot

• Anytime random strange behavior or sluggishness creeps in, the first thing to do is a battery pop reboot. With power ON, remove the back cover and pull out the battery. Wait about a minute then replace the battery and cover. Power up and wait patiently through the long reboot -- ~5 minutes. See if things have returned to good operation. Like all computing devices, BB's suffer from memory leaks and such...with a hard reboot being the best cure.

Hopefully that will get things going again for you! If not, then you should contact your carrier for assistance with stabilizing your connection to their network.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
trenery
My Device: Bold 9700

I have the same issue on at least 4 9700's on T-Mobile. The phones show a 2 bar signal but do not receive calls, emails or sms messages. You also cant make a call. Once the battery has been removed and replaced the phone comes to life and everything comes through at once.

Some of my guys are resetting the battery 3 or 4 times a week.

Mike 

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

trenery wrote:

I have the same issue on at least 4 9700's on T-Mobile. The phones show a 2 bar signal but do not receive calls, emails or sms messages. You also cant make a call. Once the battery has been removed and replaced the phone comes to life and everything comes through at once.

Some of my guys are resetting the battery 3 or 4 times a week.

Mike 

Hi and Welcome to the Forums!

On some devices, folks do a battery pull reboot every 24 hours. There even are applications one can obtain that will conduct the reboot without pulling the battery...and some of those apps can do so on an automated schedule (for instance, when the user is asleep). BB's a little computers...prone to memory leaks and such. Just like all computers, reboots clean things up for a time.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Randy712
My Device: 9700 bold white

Hi guys thanks for the replies. I have tried everything listed, and yet nothing works.

My girlfriend works for t-mobile and she is also complaning of the same problem at work, and was told many people on t-mobile are getting the same problem with data transfer. Has anyone got any other information?

Thanks,

Randy.

New Contributor
trenery
My Device: Bold 9700

T-Mobile support told me that it is a problem with their network and has been for the past 3 days. I don't think this is the case as we have had the same problem for months. I get it on all of our business Blackberry 9700's - I am still investigating this.

I understand that this phone is a mini computer but that said I do not expect to have to continually reboot any device. I do not have this issue with any other device in our business so if Blackberry can't cut it in a business environment I will just get the devices changed as they are not be fit for purpose.

Hopefully, T-Mobile and Blackberry will get this issue resolved in a timely manor before needing such action.