Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

Regular Contributor
kjevans
My Device: Bold 9000

Software Updates

Hi, I seem to be experiencing a lot of problems when updating the Desktop Manager, Device Manager and USB & Modem Drivers.

Instructions from the BB site say that first install the updated Desktop Manager and then install the other updates i.e device and usb etc updates if any.

Having done this when I try to open the desktop manager I get an error message:-

This application has failed to start because product.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.

What I have noticed is that the desktop manager installs fine with the media manager etc.

When I then install the device manager the setup says that I am installing desktop manager 4.6, so I think that the setup file has an error in it or something. It seems to overwrite the desktop manager install causing it to mess up.

I am trying to figure out how to update the firmware on my bold.

Does the desktop manager update include all the other updates, so I only need install that?

Why does BB supply individual download updates if the above is true and you can't install them anyway?

Regards

Kirk

Regards
Kirk
p.s. Vote for BOLD
Elite II
tanzim
My Device: Torch 9800

Re: Software Updates

As you're facing problem with desktop manager installation try installing DM without media manager. Before that uninstall DM will all the current settings. Check the below link for OS upgradation - http://supportforums.blackberry.com/rim/board/message?board.id=BlackBerryDeviceSoftware&message.id=1...

You're trying to update Bold's firmware! But where will you get that? which version you're using now and which one you intend to upgrade?

tanzim                                                                                  
If your query is resolved then please click on Accept as Solution

Click on the LIKE on the bottom right if the post deserves credit

Regular Contributor
kjevans

Hi, I realize that there is a problem with the install on DM, but it actually works fine after install including Media Manager, it only has a problem when I then install the update for Device Manager.

Is Device Manager the update for the phone OS?

Regards

Kirk

Regards
Kirk
p.s. Vote for BOLD
Regular Contributor
kjevans

I have got it now, I only need to install the latest DM, this includes DS & MM updates.

If you try to install the separate DS update on top of the DM it corrupts the install.

DS is not the handheld firmware.

I cannot see any update for my Bold, it currently has:-

Platform Version 4.0.0.117

App Version 4.6.0.92

For my provider Orange UK, there is not even the BOLD in the list of handhelds.

Take a Look

Regards

Kirk

Regards
Kirk
p.s. Vote for BOLD
Elite II
tanzim
My Device: Torch 9800

How did you manage your Bold? Good Luck!!! Personally I don't like media manager...its a problematic apps!!

tanzim                                                                                  
If your query is resolved then please click on Accept as Solution

Click on the LIKE on the bottom right if the post deserves credit

Regular Contributor
kjevans

i have the DM manager with MM to manage my Bold, I am just going to wait for an OS update to be available.

I see someone else on the board has upgraded to firmware 4.6.0.126 and they are on Orange UK like me but I don't know where they found the update.

If you don't use Media Manager, what app do you use for transferring mp3's etc?

Kirk

Regards
Kirk
p.s. Vote for BOLD
Jamietaylor13
My Device: Bold - 9000

Check this out. Belgium, Poland, Romania, Spain and Switzerland all have the bold updates 4.6.0.126.   WHY does Orange UK not have this yet! If anyone has a link to the uk update it would be much appreciated. Does anyone know if I use one of these to update my bold will it invalidate my warrenty? Uk Orange call centre directed me to this site but i can't find it.

J

Regular Contributor
kjevans

Jamietaylor13 wrote:

Check this out. Belgium, Poland, Romania, Spain and Switzerland all have the bold updates 4.6.0.126.   WHY does Orange UK not have this yet! If anyone has a link to the uk update it would be much appreciated. Does anyone know if I use one of these to update my bold will it invalidate my warrenty? Uk Orange call centre directed me to this site but i can't find it.

J

Hi, I am with orange uk and found the same problem.

I upgraded using a link from vodafone, found on this site.

Phone works fine.

I did call orange asking where there update was and they basically know nothing.

Regards
Kirk
p.s. Vote for BOLD
Contributor
deocamdata
My Device: 9000 Bold

Jamietaylor13 wrote:

J

In Romania Bold cames with 4.6.0.92 not with .126 like you say ,,,