Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
SanetBates
My Device: BOLD 9790

Software update failed

I have a Bold 9790 and used the Over the Air option to update my software. It started off well, just to find that it stuck on 9%. I tried every thing to reset the phone, or cancel the download, without success.  What could the problem be? And how can I fix it?

Please use plain text.
Elite II
prince2012
My Device: Curve

Re: Software update failed

Hello SanetBates

I personally never perform Over the Air option to update my Device Software. You can use Desktop Software for this , but now if it struck on backup option then you have two options :

( Credit JSanders )

One:

• Open Blackberry Desktop Software & Connect your device with PC using USB cable, without inserting battery.
  • You will get three option Retry, Update Or Cancel, then click on update.
  • Once it is to the stage of the update "initializing handheld", then insert battery.
  • If this does not work, and you remain stuck on the backing up the Social Feeds database, go to the second method below.

Secondly:

• Start your BlackBerry in Safe mode.  Article ID: KB17877 How to start a BlackBerry smartphone in Safe Modehttp://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB17877
  • Connect to the BlackBerry Desktop Software and allow your handheld to connect. If you are prompted to upgrade, cancel the upgrade for later.
  • IF you cannot connect or your Desktop Software does not recognize your device while in Safe Mode, please follow the directions here to force the detect:  Article ID: KB10144 How to force the detection of the BlackBerry smartphone using Application Loader
  • Go to Device > delete > SELECT DATA > select to delete both the Social Feeds and Smart Card databases, and follow the remaining prompts to complete it. 
  • Now, you can return and click to upgrade the device through the Desktop Manager, or reboot the BlackBerry in normal mode and continue the over the air upgrade.

Try it and let us know.

Click " Like " if you want to Thank someone.
If Problem Resolves mark the post(s) as " Solution ", so that other can make use of it.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
SanetBates
My Device: BOLD 9790

I am sooo grateful for your help. I followed the steps, and within a couple of minutes my phone was in perfect working order! You are so kind. Thank you very very much!

Please use plain text.
Elite II
prince2012
My Device: Curve

Hello SanetBates

You are most welcome.. I am glad that those steps helped you to recover your device :smileyhappy: 

Enjoy your BlackBerry :smileyhappy:

Cheers !

Click " Like " if you want to Thank someone.
If Problem Resolves mark the post(s) as " Solution ", so that other can make use of it.
Please use plain text.