Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

My Device: Not Specified

Software updates/application memory

I am trying to update the software for my Bold 900 running

When I select the first update from the list of available updates it starts to download and then says I need to free up 4 MB of application memory.  How do I do this?  I have zero saved music, messages, or e-mails.  I have 1.6GB free on the media card.  I have never downloaded any apps.  So what is left to get rid of?  And how would a novice do it?

Do I just have to live with an out-of-date operating system until my contract expires, when I can get a phone that doesn't givbe me these problems?

Super Contributor
My Device: Z10

Re: Software updates/application memory

Keep in mind that many BB devices come with pre-installed software and language packs that you may not use. You should be able to use Desktop Manager to see the installed applications and remove some that you don't use (i.e. Brickbreaker, Solitaire, foreign languages, etc.) to free up some space. You can also remove apps directly from the device using the Software list that is usually under the Options menu.

Doing this should free up enough memory to update.
BESX 5.0.4, SQL 2008, Exchange 2010 SP2 RU4a
Forums Advisor III
My Device: Samsung Galaxy S II SkyRocket (yes, Android)
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: Software updates/application memory

Another thing to try is a battery pull. With the phone on, remove the battery. Wait about 10 seconds, then re-insert the battery. Let the phone restart, then attempt the upgrade again. I have frequently recovered 16MB memory this way.