Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
bizman25
My Device: Bold 9700

Software version 6.0 for Bold 9700

Just "upgraded" my Bold 9700 to version 6.0.  Thanks for nothing.  While the back end may work better, Blackberry just converted my phone from a usable business tool to a convoluted POS.  Please tell me why Blackberry engineers are not smart enough when doing an upgrade to include the following:  The same ringtones?  The same graphics? The same icons?. The same or even similar functionality?  So now I have a machine that does not look or function the same way as the one I plugged in to do a backup.  I am happy to have a new operating system if that will make the phone work better, but instead this so-called "upgrade" created an entirely different piece of equipment for an entirely different kind of user.  Blackberry used to be the industry standard for business people (this is my 3rd Blackberry over the years), it is clear they no longer consider this a viable market.  If that is the market you want (selling apps and ringtones) fine, do it on a new model, don't subject me to these type of changes on my existing phone (or at least have the decency to make it an option)

Examples:  Couple of ringtones are the same (the annoying T-mobile jingle for example) but the one I had is gone, and the replacements are cheesy and unpleasant at best. Same with the notifiers etc.  Thank you so much. 

Graphics are different.  I wanted to back up my phone, not totally change the way it looks.  if you wanted to add new wallpapers, why couldn't you do them in addition to the existing ones?  And why is it not possible to keep the things like call volume or extension numbers you type in in the lower left?  Or are those sort of concepts too advanced for the technical staff?  Apparently so. 

Functionality - it now takes extra steps to do about everything - to send a text from Contacts now takes one extra step.  Why is that?  Also now takes 5 steps to turn on Bluetooth from phone (for car, for example), instead of 3 (and the Bluetooth icon is totally gone).  Genius. 

In addition, if I wanted to scroll through all of the icons All The time, I would have bought a Torch or an iPhone.  Now to check messages or make a call you may have to scroll through several categories (Media, Downloads, Frequent, Favorites, etc) to get to what I want.  Everything was working just fine with the 5 icons pinned to my homescreen, and I could get to everything else by pushing one button.  Not anymore.  Good thinking, really bright.

Basically, this upgrade has cost me two days (so far) trying to get everything back to reasonably the way it was.  If you want to change the way the PDA functions, make it a new model (the 9750 or something), don't totally change this one and tell me it is a "software upgrade".  You may think it is better, I do not.  What you have done is make Nokia and Samsung and Apple products much more appealing and make me doubt totally the competence of the people making these machines.  If nothing, RIM certainly lacks common sense.  The Bold I had two days ago was working just fine -  if it aint broke, don't fix it.  

Oh yeah, don't bother calling RIM to try to get some simple answers (like "where is the Bluetooth icon now?") - they'll tell you only if you pay them $49.  Class act.

If you are a business person who primarily uses your Bold for business - phone, text, email - hold off on doing this upgrade as long as possible, unless you want to lose a couple of days of productivity.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Re: Software version 6.0 for Bold 9700

Hello and Welcome to the Forums!

Thank you for your insightful and well-written post! It is unfortunate that you are having so many difficulties. While many experience the same (a search here will reveal that fact), there are also many who have very positive experiences with their BB. Not every device is suitable for everyone -- which IMHO is why there are so many choices.

Further, there is an old adage I use:

• The best device for anyone is the one they become the most used to

Given time, it might be possible to grow to tolerate it more. The process of change is always hard...but I find that the root issue has little to do with what is changed TO...rather, it has most to do with what is changed FROM (that "used to it" thing).

BTW -- you are not stuck...you can fall back...from a PC, you can install any OS package to a BB via this procedure:

Note that while written for "reload", it can be used to upgrade, downgrade, or reload -- it all depends on the OS package you download and install to your PC. You can even use a different carriers OS package by simply inserting, between steps 1 and 2, the deletion, on your PC, of a file named VENDOR.XML. Be sure that you remove, from your PC, any other BB device OS packages as having more than one installed to the PC can cause conflicts with this procedure.

If you are on MAC, you are limited to only your carriers sanctioned OS packages...but can still use any levels that they currently sanction. See this procedure:

• KB19915How to perform a clean reload of BlackBerry smartphone application software using BlackBerry Desktop Software

bizman25 wrote:

Oh yeah, don't bother calling RIM to try to get some simple answers (like "where is the Bluetooth icon now?") - they'll tell you only if you pay them $49.  Class act.

Perhaps you are not aware, but front line support for BB's is, by contract, not provided by RIM. The carriers and authorized resellers are responsible for front line formal support to end users. As you discovered, it is possible to bypass your carrier and seek assistance direct from RIM, but such involves fees since you are bypassing your support agreement with your carrier.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
bizman25

Thank you for your reply.  3 comments:

RE: your reference to change - sure change can be good or bad, but the issue here is did I want change?  No, phone was otherwise working just fine.  Like I said, if you want to upgrade the OS, fine, but dont change the front end around so much that I am essentially holding in my hand a different piece of equipment than the one I went to backup on Tuesday.  If I wanted something with fancy scrolling and all that stuff that is what I would have bought one of the many other options on the market in the first place.  As you say, I am sure there are many who are thrilled with these changes because they really wanted an iPhone and RIM just gave them something close at (presumably) a lower cost.  And if RIM wants to chase the "younger" market that is completely their preogative.  But to change the functionality of an important piece of business equipment (to me) in mid-stream (and with no warning that the software upgrade would do just that) is irresponsible at best.  And it still does not address the issue of whay some simple tasks now take more steps to do, and why they couldn't keep the same graphics and sounds?  I'm not an engineer but that cant be too tough. It is certainly not rocket science.  Makes me question the competence or common sense of those designing these "upgrades".  Like I said, you want to create something new, call it a 9750 or something and leave the basic functionality of the 9700 alone.

As for the issue of calling RIM - two calls to my carrier and they were unable to answer any of my questons, except to let me know that RIM did not want us calling RIM directly.  In my mind, my service agreement covered the 9700 as I bought it, not this rendition RIM has created.  If you are going to do a change like this you need to have the integirty to stand up and answer those questions head on.  Did RIM not anticipate that there would be issues like this? I was also told by my carrier that you could not revert back to the old version (5.0) and my search of the website yesterday revealed nothing about 5.0 (and the link you sent me only allows fo radding instant messaging to the 9700, nothing about reloading 5.0).  My carrier also said RIM was going to be automatically upgrading everyone anyway.  Is there a failure to comunicate between RIM and their carriers?

And I appreciate your prompt and thoughtful reply, but I also notice that youdi not address my questions about why the sounds and graphics are different (and why did they need to be anyway?) and what happened to the Bluetooth icon?  ( I'm also not sure if you are a RIM emplyee or not, so maybe you can not answer those questions).  Like I said, what I have today is vastly different from what I had on Tuesday.  That Blackberry I liked just fine.  After the software "upgrade" the same PDA is cumbersome and unwieldy  to use. 

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
AnnaAv

Oh how I wish I'd read these earlier. I'm supposed to be using my phone at a business presentation tomorrow to show how easty it is to film and load it to social media. Not only have all my videos disappeared I cannot get mass storage mode options. My laptop didn't even recognise the phone and I had tio go through set up all over again. I hate the layout, ringtone options and cannot find anything. I use my phone for business - and it seems to now want to be an i-phone.

Why oh why - do you make changes without the option to say no - or at least warn what's goin gto happen. I feel helpless for tomorrow and I've wasted a lot of time trying to sort it out. Lord knows where the rest of my content has gone....

:No:

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

[ Edited ]

bizman25 wrote:

RE: your reference to change - sure change can be good or bad, but the issue here is did I want change?  No, phone was otherwise working just fine. 

And, there are choices...you can revert back, and further could have refused the change at the time (at least that's how I understand the OS upgrade pushes from the carriers to work...if your carrier did not do so, then shame on them IMHO).

bizman25 wrote:

Like I said, if you want to upgrade the OS, fine, but dont change the front end around so much that I am essentially holding in my hand a different piece of equipment than the one I went to backup on Tuesday.

They change what they change, for reasons only they can know. BTW -- you say "you" a lot...as in "me...I've nothing whatsoever to do with it all.

bizman25 wrote:

If I wanted something with fancy scrolling and all that stuff that is what I would have bought one of the many other options on the market in the first place.  As you say, I am sure there are many who are thrilled with these changes because they really wanted an iPhone and RIM just gave them something close at (presumably) a lower cost.  And if RIM wants to chase the "younger" market that is completely their preogative.

Way too many assumptions in there to address...we have no way to truly know RIMs motivations here. But again, you had (and still have) choices and options.

bizman25 wrote:

But to change the functionality of an important piece of business equipment (to me) in mid-stream (and with no warning that the software upgrade would do just that) is irresponsible at best.

Hmmm...I wonder how, exactly, you would have liked that warning to be made. There are hundreds of posts on these forums discussing it all. Plus, RIM pushes NOTHING to end users...the carriers are responsible for ALL transactions between them and their customers. So, perhaps that warning would have been wanted from your carrier...and that perhaps may be a better target for your ire?

bizman25 wrote:

And it still does not address the issue of whay some simple tasks now take more steps to do, and why they couldn't keep the same graphics and sounds?  I'm not an engineer but that cant be too tough. It is certainly not rocket science.  Makes me question the competence or common sense of those designing these "upgrades".  Like I said, you want to create something new, call it a 9750 or something and leave the basic functionality of the 9700 alone.

A model number is hardware...as with all computing devices, it is coupled with an OS. The combination of the two is what makes it what it is. Again, you had (and have) choices. We have no way to understand the inner workings at RIM as to "why" anything happens. All of your ranting is all about you and your individual situation...that is all valid, but it cannot speak to "common sense"...after all, there is no such thing..."common sense" depends on "common experience"...and we each are unique individuals. What is "common sense" to you will be completely inaccurate for someone else.

bizman25 wrote:

As for the issue of calling RIM - two calls to my carrier and they were unable to answer any of my questons, except to let me know that RIM did not want us calling RIM directly.

Well, that sounds like they were inaccurate. RIM certainly does not shy away from hearing from end users. At least not in my experience. It is a pity that your carrier is so mis-representing what I understand of RIM to be.

bizman25 wrote:
In my mind, my service agreement covered the 9700 as I bought it, not this rendition RIM has created.

Sorry...this will sound harsh, but what is in your mind is not relevant. What is in your contract, well that is relevant...and that contract is between you and your carrier.

Further, RIM indeed created the OS...but your carrier adopted it and released it to their customers. But, still, I maintain that you had (and have) options.

bizman25 wrote:

If you are going to do a change like this you need to have the integirty to stand up and answer those questions head on.  Did RIM not anticipate that there would be issues like this?

Again with the "you"? I'm trying to not feel like you are attacking me directly here...

Any firm that is in the hardware/software business knows that there is no 100% solution...that simply does not exist. Therefore, they make the decisions they make and depend on the channels that are established...which is the carriers...for support, information release, etc. If your carrier failed you in that regard, shouldn't your ire be directed at them?

bizman25 wrote:

I was also told by my carrier that you could not revert back to the old version (5.0)

Poppycock...whoever told you that was (I shall be gentle) misinformed. That can't possibly be the first time you've received inaccurate information from someone, can it?

bizman25 wrote:

and my search of the website yesterday revealed nothing about 5.0 (and the link you sent me only allows fo radding instant messaging to the 9700, nothing about reloading 5.0).

Since you haven't revealed your carrier, I can't search the download portal for you. But, it is within those instructions about reloading your OS...you can search it and find all carriers and the OS levels they are currently supporting. If your carrier has dropped support for 5.x, then to fall back you must use the instructions for carriers other than your own. If, via those instructions, you are only finding things about IM, then you are not executing them properly...I know 100% that they work exactly as written.

bizman25 wrote:

My carrier also said RIM was going to be automatically upgrading everyone anyway.

More poppycock. RIM pushes no OS's to anyone. The carriers are in 100% control over that.

bizman25 wrote:

Is there a failure to comunicate between RIM and their carriers?

More than likely. Plus failure of communication within the carriers themselves. All of these entities are made up of humans...if you are expecting perfection in that system, you are setting yourself up for severe disappointments.

bizman25 wrote:

And I appreciate your prompt and thoughtful reply, but I also notice that youdi not address my questions about why the sounds and graphics are different (and why did they need to be anyway?)

Because I try to focus here purely on "what"...I have no insight into any "why" issues. I'm not an insider at RIM. I am privy to no secret information. And, if I were, I'd be specifically enjoined from sharing it as it would be proprietary information, after all.

bizman25 wrote:

and what happened to the Bluetooth icon?

I've no idea...

bizman25 wrote:

( I'm also not sure if you are a RIM emplyee or not, so maybe you can not answer those questions).

Then you haven't read my auto-sig.

bizman25 wrote:

Like I said, what I have today is vastly different from what I had on Tuesday.  That Blackberry I liked just fine.  After the software "upgrade" the same PDA is cumbersome and unwieldy  to use. 

In your opinion. Others have different opinions. None are "wrong" nor "right". They are opinions of each, and each perfectly valid. As well as irrelevant. Things are what they are. I've given you options to fall back...it is up to you decide how you wish to proceed.

Good luck!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

AnnaAv wrote:

Oh how I wish I'd read these earlier. I'm supposed to be using my phone at a business presentation tomorrow to show how easty it is to film and load it to social media. Not only have all my videos disappeared I cannot get mass storage mode options. My laptop didn't even recognise the phone and I had tio go through set up all over again. I hate the layout, ringtone options and cannot find anything. I use my phone for business - and it seems to now want to be an i-phone.

Why oh why - do you make changes without the option to say no - or at least warn what's goin gto happen. I feel helpless for tomorrow and I've wasted a lot of time trying to sort it out. Lord knows where the rest of my content has gone....

:No:

Hi and Welcome to the Forums!

Ah yes, it's always best to research what one is getting into before getting into it. But, realize that RIM pushed nothing at you -- your carrier was in 100% control. If they gave you no option, then that's a pity...but your ire is better directed to them.

Further, if you read above, there are instructions to fall back...if you must do so, then do so.

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
AnnaAv

I don't know anything about Rim - all I know is that when I tried to sync my phone today my laptop wouldn't recognise it and I was forced into the upgrade. Most technical info goes straight over my head - as I'm sure most people. But I do have to trust that the powers that be know what they are doing.... sadly in this case it's really messed up my phone and I feel like I'm having to start to learn how to use it and where everything is all over again. I liked my old theme and ringtone, and layout. As for all my videos.....  funnily enough it's all about social media and brand reputation. At least I have a perfect example..... and I know I'm not alone.....

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

AnnaAv wrote:

I don't know anything about Rim - all I know is that when I tried to sync my phone today my laptop wouldn't recognise it and I was forced into the upgrade.

RIM = Research In Motion, the manufacturer of BBs and the sponsor of these forums (where users connect with other users to try and help as best they can).

It is not typical for the Desktop Software to force any update as you describe...there have been none in my experience that I could not cause to bypass. That's not saying it's not possible, just that I've never seen it. Mostly, its an error made by not fully reading and comprehending what the Desktop Software is saying. But I've no way to know for sure in your specific case.

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
AnnaAv

A box came up saying it was a new device and didn't recognise it. It would take my exisiting info and install it in the new device! I could have ignored it - but I needed to sync up my data..... Either way - I don't suppose there is any going back - and I'll have to muddle throuhg and get used to it. But am still furious and won't be recommending the phone tomorrow afterall - no point if I cannot demonstrate how easy it is!

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Oh! That's the Device Switch Wizard, something that is used to do exactly as it says...change from an old BB (or other compatible smartphone) to a new one. I've never heard of it auto-launching though. Very very strange that you'd have been taken there.

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.