Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
Memento_Mori
My Device: Bold 9780

Some newbie questions

[ Edited ]

BB: 9780 Bold

1) How does the GPS device work on BB 9780?

Is it a physical device or a logical device? does it need to connect to internet or the BB network to function?

What are the specs of the GPS device if it is a physical one?

2) In 'maps' how do I change "my location" by accident I locked it on a wrong location and now want to change it.

3) I.E. BB app world does it connect to the internet or BB network?

4) What exactly does the BB network do? Is it just for ping or do other apps/functionalities connect to it? When does it       use my wireless ISP and when does it use the BB network?

5) Is there some map app that can be used offline? the default map app seems to download all needed maps on the go ..  since i have a 1Gb data limit I would like to use an offline version.

JSanders
Solutions: 6,031
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Some newbie questions

1. It is aGPS, in that it does receive assistance from the network connection for a faster "fix". I don't know if this GPS is physical or logical, but the GPS is standalone, and in fact your lat/long GPS location can be found in a the device  with NO mobile network SIM card even in the device... just takes a while for the downloading/install of the ephimeral tables.

2. BlackBerry Maps? Start the GPS navigation > Menu > Find a location > Where am I?

3. Needs the mobile network to verify, but can connect by WiFi.

4. Your PIN and BBM messages and some other data flows over the BlackBerry Network. Honestly, I know there's more, I just don't know what.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code