Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

My Device: 9900
My Carrier: ATT

Sound quality

I just upgraded from a 2 year old BB (not sure of the model) to a 9900. I am deaf in my right ear and my left ear has speech recognition of about 70% which improves to nearly 95% with benefit of a properly adjusted hearing aid. I had a very difficult time hearing on my old BB -- voices were very muffled. Having used the 9900 for only a few calls, I find that its tonal quality is even worse than my old BB. This is a company-issued device which I must use. I do not use a telecoil. My ability to hear clearly on my Cisco IP desktop phone is not a problem. Hearing on my iPhone 4S is difficult but it is markedly better than on the BB. (I think I've been able to change the tonal quality on the iPhone.) Since I have only 1 good ear, it's not practical to attempt to use a Bluetooth headset. Sound over a speaker phone (on any phone) is poor -- mainly because of echo and muffling so using the speaker phone on my BB is not pratical either.

Bottom line, anyone else have issues with the tonal quality of the 9900?

Is there any way to adjust the tonal quality on the 9900?

Is there a 3rd party app (essentially, an adjustable equalizer) available that will help?

Finally, if nothing else, is it possible or feasible to change out the ear/speaker to something that will have better quality?

Sorry for the long-winded post. Am trying to give enough info so people don't waste their time posting a possible solution (Bluetooth headset, for example) that I've already determined won't work.

Thanks for your help.  swt