Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

Contributor
ichabod
My Device: Bold 9650
My Carrier: Verizon

Sync of calendar with Microsoft Exchange via BIS - feature request

I've started a job where email and calendars are hosted on a Microsoft Exchange server, and the company policy on access for Blackberry devices is to use IMAP. The setup instructions are straightforward, and I'm synchronizing and sending/receiving email through BIS with no problem. Calendar synchronization, however, is a big problem. If my work email address invited to an appointment, the appointment makes it to my BB, but appointments created on the BB don't end up on the server, and appointments created on the server don't make it to the BB.

After reading through the KB articles referenced on this forum (Thanks!), I've found that KB29026 is most applicable to my situation: Wireless calendar and contact synchorization is not supported for integrated Microsoft Outlook Web Access accounts. End of story. KB03652 provides a comparison of features available over BIS vs. BES and states that calendar synchronization doesn't work for my situation.

This is frustrating, particularly when I find that open source developers working with Thunderbird are able to support this for that application's calendar. (I work in a Linux environment, so my use of the email system is via Thunderbird or web mail, the same as the other developers in my office.) I keep reading stories questioning whether Blackberry can stay in the game, and I feel that this is a feature that they need to support if they want to do it. The iPhone users at my firm have full support with the Exchange server. Why can't Blackberry do the same? As it stands, when my current Blackberry kicks the bucket, I'm likely to switch to another manufacturer.

I'm sorry to post what is essentially venting, but it's not worth it to me to spend an hour or two on a support call with my wireless carrier to get through to Blackberry, and I'm hoping that some Blackberry reps may read this and pass my comment up the chain. Thanks for indulging/tolerating me.

Exchange server version: 14.1.355.2

Blackberry Bold 9650, 6.0 Bundle 3084 (v6.0.0.719, Platform 4..40.560)

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Sync of calendar with Microsoft Exchange via BIS - feature request

Hello,

ichabod wrote:

and the company policy on access for Blackberry devices is to use IMAP. 

After reading through the KB articles referenced on this forum (Thanks!), I've found that KB29026 is most applicable to my situation: Wireless calendar and contact synchorization is not supported for integrated Microsoft Outlook Web Access accounts. End of story.

I recognize that your post was not one of seeking help, but rather hoping to pass information upwards. So, in the interest of accuracy in your quest, are not those two things contradictory? After all, IMAP <> OWA...

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Contributor
ichabod
My Device: Bold 9650
My Carrier: Verizon

I see what you mean. KB03652 shows the problem better. The basic problem is that although the BB can get the email messages through IMAP, it can't get the calendar appointments. I'm guessing the calendar appointments don't fit into the scope of IMAP, but still, Exchange provides a mechanism for synching appointments, or Thunderbird wouldn't be able to get them, and as the KB article shows, the Gmail plugin to Blackberry allows the BB to get appointments from Gmail.

Thank you for suggesting the clarification.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Yes, that is indeed a better citation, thank you. As it states, natively BIS configured email accounts can only sync calendar for Gmail. What is likely happening for those "other platforms" you mentioned is ActiveSync rather than actually using the IMAP protocol for calendar/contacts -- EAS can also be faced the Internet from many environments. But, BIS is not ActiveSync, and only supports those which it claims to support (as per the KB), though the PlugIn does indeed provide additional functions.

It will be interesting to see how this all progresses. For example, with BlackBerry 10, there is no more BIS as the device itself now has a full ActiveSync client to handle email, calendar, and contacts directly between itself and the server, negating BIS as the interface between them. One can only wonder if BIS will receive future enchantments of it's capabilities so as to better mimic what ActiveSync can do.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.