Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
My Device: torch 9810
My Carrier: Bell

The R key will engage just by touching in not pressing even if I drop the phone gently it engages

Is the key sort of engaged or is it software? It is next to one of the keys I use for my  password.

Do I have to change the keyboard or is there another fix?

Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z10/Z30/Q10 (, Playbook (
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: The R key will engage just by touching in not pressing even if I drop the phone gently it engages

From what you describe, I'd guess that something about that key is damaged...under the keys, there is a membrane and connections. If, for example, that membrane is compressed and the connection is very very close, then just touching the key could perhaps complete the connection and execute the key press. But, in any event, this sounds definitely like a hardware issue, which is pretty much impossible to truly diagnose at an internet distance, and really impossible to resolve at that distance.

If you remain in warranty, I recommend you seek formal support under those terms. If you are out of warranty, I recommend you find a local (to you) shop with a qualified BB hardware technician to give you a proper diagnosis and estimate.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? click here and also here. Please click here for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button.