Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

Contributor
My Device: Storm

Thinking About Moving Over To Bold (From Storm)

I like the storm a lot, but I'm more worried about the plan I'm in.  With Verizon there are no rollover minutes, but ATT has them. Thus with Verizon I have to get the plan with more minutes.  I can save $20 a month with ATT and they have the same coverage.

Anyways.  Playing with the bold I have a couple of issues the ATT people can't answer (cause they are morons in my local store). 

1.  The storm has IE and Firefox built in, thus HTML browsers.  Bold was not full HTML thus I kept getting the mobile sites (Yahoo, Espn, etc.).  Is there another option?

2.  Typing in a an address you have to use atl  key to type a period (.), thus much slower.  Being the main punctuation mark, is there another option?

3. With WiFi, can I just go into an place and pick up signal if they have wifi?  Is it faster than 3g then?

4. Are there more applications for the Bold or is it a new format like the Storm?

I didn't have much time to play with it in the store, but seemed to be a great little device. 

My Device: Not Specified

Re: Thinking About Moving Over To Bold (From Storm)

I've had my bold for about two weeks now and let me tell you it is a wonderfull phone. I've always used a t-mobile Sidekick but wanted something more mature but still have the messaging and browsing features I need. On the bold When your in the browser select options and go to browser identification and you will find three options. There's Blackberry,firefox and internet browser. I think firefox works best. There are many keyboard shortcuts one is pressing space to insert a period another is holding a particular letter to Capitalize it. I don't have to much knowledge on wifi but on under setup or network connections you will find your Wifi options. As fr as apps you can find plenty of free stuff on the web including third party web browsers that you May find easier to use than the BB browsers. Hope I've helped in your decision.
Contributor

The model in the store did not have any other options for a browser.  Sounds like it's similar to the Storm (offering the three choices).

My Friends bold does not have any IE or Firefox option for a browser, only blackberry option.  My storm came with three options:  BB, IE, Firefox. Thus on the storm, i get full HTML browsing.  He still gets mobile pages on yahoo, google, ebay, etc.

DOES THE BOLD HAVE OTHER OPTIONS TO GET FULL HTML.  HAVE ANY OF YOU GONE TO YAHOO AND GOTTEN THE REGULAR PAGE?

Get OperaMini

The Bold DOES have a HTML browers. I my iPod Tough/Phone I get soem mobile sites as well like ESPN and CNN.

Highlighted
New Contributor

I had the Storm for 2 days - worst phone / BB i ever had.  I sent it back.

I got the Bold 2 days later and it blows the Storm away... Bold rocks.  Very fast.  Very similar to Storm in terms of look but does not have the Flickr Facebook apps... though I guess you can get them.

Wifi is very fast.... faster than 3G.

The browser is identical to the storms in the emulation modes available IE & Firefox.  I have been to NY Times full site and ESPN's too, Googles too.

My problem is I never figure out how to control which site I end up on.... had the same problem on the storm.

I laugh when I see the storm.... it was unusable and paralyzing.  The bold is BB on steroids.