Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
Chellser
My Device: Bold 9780
My Carrier: Meteor
Accepted Solution

Timer icon in middle of screen

Hey hope someone can help me with this. The last few days my phone has like a little black box which you could say is like a little clock as it has a white line that goes around it like it is counting time. Anyway the problem is that it is constantly happening whether the phone is being used or not and it is using up all my battery. I fully charged it before I went to sleep last night and woke up and the battery was drained. I have removed the battery several times to reset but it hasn't helped. Anyone any ideas?

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,923
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Timer icon in middle of screen

You likely have applications running in the background, maps, an active web browser page or something of the sort.

Also, make sure you have disabled Memory Cleaner (Options > Security > Memory Cleaning). You don't need it.

To prevent freezing or lagging/slow response on any BlackBerry, the most important practice you can adopt is to be sure to CLOSE applications when you are finished using them.

If you just hit the red "end call" key to go back to the home screen the application actually stays open and running in the background. If you do this repeatedly you will have lots of apps open and consequently your memory will get used up. Lack of memory is the biggest reason your BlackBerry slows to a crawl or locks up. If you get into the habit of actually using the menu key to close the applications this will at least slow down this memory-clogging process. You still may have to do a battery pull or use the "Quickpull" app once in a while when things get slow.

To check what applications are running on your device in the background, press the Menu key then choose Switch Applications. You will see the icons of each application there.

So now, check your applications running in the background. There are commonly four or five applications that will always be running (Messages, Call Logs/Phone, BlackBerry Messenger, Homescreen, and the Browser; there are other third party applications such as BeeJive, and BlackBerry Alerts which will also run in the background which you cannot close if you want them to operate). Make certain that the browser is NOT on an active webpage (open the browser and choose Menu > Close). Close any other applications that do not need to be running (the camera or a game you were playing or Google Maps).

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Chellser
My Device: Bold 9780
My Carrier: Meteor

Thank you so much, that did the trick. I never realised that i had to actually physically close the apps and though i could just use the end call. I'll know now. Also I have just removed the memory cleaning. Thanks again and happy new year

Please use plain text.
JSanders

You're very welcome... Happy New Year to you as well.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
mike2vc
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: Vodafone

I have exactly this fault : small clock icon running every time you want to use the phone.  However, I've disabled memory cleaning and closed all apps running in the background, and even uninstalled some that I thought might secretly be activating themselves.  Still the problem occurs!  It seems to go through phases of activity during any given day.  I can tell when the phone is working hard and draining the battery as the handset actually gets hot!  Some nights I switch off and the following morning the battery is as I left it; some mornings I wake to find the battery drained.

Can anyone suggest anything else?

Please use plain text.
JSanders

Mike2vc,

What is your Operating System loaded to your device? Look at Options > Device > About, third line down beginning with a "v.6.0.x.xxx", What is yours?

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
mike2vc

Thanks for taking an interest.  The  3rd line says:

6.0 Bundle 2534 (v6.0.0.570, Platform 6.6.0.212)

Please use plain text.
JSanders

mike2vc wrote:

Thanks for taking an interest.  The  3rd line says:

6.0 Bundle 2534 (v6.0.0.570, Platform 6.6.0.212)

You have a 9700 model, which is allowed to upgrade to OS6, but I don't recommend it. It eats away too much of your device memory space, leave little of it free for the device to use.

• Please check this File Free at Options > Device > Status, what is the number at File Free?
  • Now, leaving the device powered ON, remove the battery of your device, hold a minute, replace and reboot. What is the File Free now?

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
mike2vc

ahh.. now things become a little clearer.  OS6 is permissible but is really too big for a 9700.  I see.

I wonder if the model 9900 would be better in that regard?

Anyhow, to your question:

Free memory before reboot: 35428987

Free memory after reboot:  36942211 which then quickly changed to 36884251, then to 35664287, then 34949007.

If I get to the point where the timer icon is appearing whenever I want to use the phone, do you suggest a "hot pull" as I've just done, as a temporary cure?

There is nothing that I can delete to create space?

Apps are not relevant in this discussion?

Thanks again for your help!

Mike

Please use plain text.
JSanders

Yea, see 35-38mb file free just isn't enough for the 9700 to operate properly and trouble free.

I've recommended so many 9700 owners downgrade their OS back v5 and they are much happier.

If you need help with that, let me know.

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.