Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

jpeterson99
My Device: Not Specified

Tmobile USA, 3G, 2100mhz - Will it work?

I was just wondering if anyone got their bold working with the T-mobile 3G USA network. I spoke to the T-mobile tech this morning and they told me that I should have no problem accessing it, but I can't do it. They allowed me to speak to a tier 2 technician and all she kept telling me is that it should work. She says it should "switch over automatically" and that there are no settings, etc. that I needed to worry about. I am in New York, NY.

I know that UMTS 1700 mhz is not an option on the bold but 2100 mhz is. According to the rep, all you need is the 2100 mhz and you should be able to access it and that 1700 mhz is not necessary.  And since 2100 mhz is up and running in new york, she does not see why I'm having problems.

They won't allow me to speak to a tier 3 tech support staff because apparently, my question has been answered...which is YES, the bold WILL work with 3G. They can't tell me how this would work since I don't use their supported device.

Others in the community say that it will NOT work but can't tell me why.  Since this is an official forum, I hope that someone can tell me a definitive answer and the reason for it.  I would like to know so that I may purchase appropriate products in the future. 

I thank you in advance for your help and appreciate your feedback on the matter.

Contributor
DahGr81

Re: Tmobile USA, 3G, 2100mhz - Will it work?

Me neither, I'm using a Rogers Bold with T-Mobile in NYC. It should work as soon as the 3G is up on Oct. 22. I can't wait!!!

ezhang2000

Did you get it work? It's been almost a year since you posted.

I unlocked an AT&T 9000 Bold, and could not get to have the 3G speed on T-Mobile network.

GPRS and EDGE working fine.

Any comments / suggestions? Thanks.
dbiggss

What data plan do you have?

Currently, T-Mobile is very strict with its 3G network and does not offer any 3G Blackberrys (this may change very soon). You may want to consider changing your data plan to a 3G device's data feature.

If you decide to do so, you will have to provide the T-Mobile rep you speak to with a valid IMEI number for a T-Mobile 3G phone such as a G1, MyTouch, SK 2009, etc...Oh, you also have to hope that you reach a representative that is familiar with how to update your account with a feature that doesnt validate with the phone they are showing in use.

I'm not sure that it will fix the problem but it is well worth a shot 

Hope this works! let me know, I am considering getting a Storm. 

Forums Advisor III
er2joe
My Device: Samsung Galaxy S II SkyRocket (yes, Android)

Even if you could do that, I doubt it would work. The Bold requires a BlackBerry Data service. Another SmartPhone's data service would not work, from what I understand.

Trusted Contributor
greggov
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

[ Edited ]
The reason this won't work is because it requires both frequencies, 1700MHz and 2100MHz. It utilizes one for an uplink and one for downlink (not sure which one is which though). I recall seeing this somewhere when t-mo first launched 3G.
Message Edited by greggov on 10-11-2009 10:56 AM