Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

Iain4246
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: EE
Accepted Solution

Top drop down bar has disappeared after update re-start.

I updated my Blackberry's apps and when it rebotted the top menu bar was missing. I've tried rebooting it, but as you can see below it's not worked.

All help welcome and thanks in advance :smileyhappy:                                                                                                              

Blackberry Bold 9900 - 7.1
Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Top drop down bar has disappeared after update re-start.

[ Edited ]

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

I recommend that you attempt to boot into Safe Mode:

• KB17877 How to start a BlackBerry smartphone in Safe Mode

It may take you multiple attempts to get the ESC key sequence (press/release/hold) correct, so be patient. When successfully into Safe Mode, see what happens.

If the behavior ceases, then you may need to look at removing specific 3rd party apps, likely those that were updated.

If the behavior continues, then actually you may need to perform device WIPE, an OS reload, or a clean WIPE and reload, as well as investigate using different OS packages.

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Iain4246

Hi, 

Thanks, I'm glad you replied so quickly! This is my first Blackberry so I didn't know it could be booted in safe mode... That or any other device appart from a computer. 

The device is in safe mode as I type and the problem has been solved! So all I need to do now is look for and remove the offending app? 
Thanks

Iain 

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

The most likely offending app is the one(s) you updated...but I know of no way, other than what you saw when you performed the update, to know that information...

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Iain4246

It's fixed now! Thanks :smileyhappy: I removed the only 3rd party app I had and Hey presto! The drop down menu is back.

Thanks again

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

You are most welcome! Enjoy!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Iain4246

Actually, I spoke to soon... I believe that it may have something to do with a Blackberry Protect message that keeps on appearing in my phone. I've deleted it several times now and after every re-boot it appears again. 

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

But, have you opened, read, and acted upon the message? It may well be a mandatory Ts and Cs acceptance message, which would continue to deliver until you act upon it...

You also can try deleting the Protect app itself, and reinstalling just it if that's the root of the problem.

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Iain4246

That seems to have sorted it! Thanks again :smileyhappy: 

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

You are most welcome...enjoy!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.