Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Trackball not scrolling down

I'll start by saying the "push down and scroll" method worked for me about the first 20 times.  Now I think its just making it worse. I have tried rolling/pressing in even direction and for some reason I have problems getting it to go down. Are there any other fixes, or ways of getting the ball enclosure open so that maybe I can check if the contacts need cleaning?

Re: Trackball not scrolling down

Also:

The times I do finally get it working again, if I let it sit for a while (few hours) it gums back up.  I think there might be debris inside of the ball case, and maybe the press/scroll method is just further compacting this lump of gunk. I am truely at a loss of what to do. I really wish they wouldn't have made the trackball so hard to get at and maintain. 

I called AT&T and they sent me a refurbished phone. The package they sent me included everything a brand new phone does. New battery, new case, new charger, new everything, even the phone itself was in flawless condition. Not a scratch or ding on it.  Total cost was $12 for FedEx shipping, and they pay to mail my old phone back.  

If anyone out there is having problems with their phone like I was I recommend this. I was very hesitant to give up my Bold, but after recieving this new one I have no regrets.  With Desktop Manager I was back to my normal BB use in a few minutes.  Thanks AT&T. 

Here's what worked for me... Two steps:

1. Shoot some air around the pearl while moving it around

2. Push and HOLD the Pearl Down (keep it down) then push and hold the "Return" button to the right next to the pearl. Hold for 2-5 seconds then release.

Hopefully this free'd up your trackball. This has worked perfectly on 2 or 3 Bolds having the same problem.

Best of luck! 

My Device: Blackberry Bold 9000

To clean or replace the trackball, follow these videos to disassemble and reassemnle the Bold

Disassembly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yvs4VM5d_rk

Assembly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40h5tzQpc74

New Contributor
My Device: bold 9000
My Carrier: vodafone australia

I think its better to replace than void ones warranty. In the interim doing as advised above using. The push and slide method followed by some 'Canned air' while the trackball is compressed. Followed by a rub with a 'skin swab' (buy them at the chemist) Does the trick very well for me. If that fails get a replacement. :smileyhappy:' I can totally relate to your trackball. Dilemma because I went though the same thing till the good people here cleared it up for me.
New Contributor
My Carrier: vodafone australia

Oh and I forgot to mention that its important that the devise is turned off while your cleaning the trackball! I got my 'canned air' at an electronics store. The brand I have is called 'air brush' and its good for cleaning computer keyboards lots of electrical gadgets
Regular Contributor

Back in Nov I had the same problem.  Took it to the AT&T store where I bought it - still had about a month warranty on it and they replaced entire phone.  They said Bold 9000 is not designed to have trackball replaced like the Curve is.  Must replace entire phone. 

NOW ....... just today, my new phone is doing the SAME THING.  I guess it's back to AT&T this weekend.  They told me I had the longest of either when my original warranty ran out or 90 days .... so that means I got 90 days ........ so I have to go soon.

Gonna beg to see if I can swap kinds of phone.  Dont want to b/c I love every other thing about the Bold, and I didnt even mind that I had to get it replaced after almost a year ... ONCE, but not TWICE!

My Carrier: at&t

Im having the same problem with my bold9000.  This is going to be my 2nd replacement phone. At this point im ready to give up! There has to be a better solution out there.

My Device: BOLD 9000
My Carrier: BSNL

Sir, it's hardly 2 months & my bold's trackball is not working.. I had high hopes with regard to blackberry's quality & service, but I am extremely upset by this instance as I am unable to use my phone since 15 days..! Please guide me as what to do & whome to approach..? Regards, sanju