Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
henrymacfarlane
My Device: 9900
My Carrier: China Mobile

Tracking/finding number of a stolen/lost device

Hi,

I recently had my Bold 9900 stolen/lost, although I have now purchased a replacement 9900 I want to try and track down my old one as it is not a cheap device.  I still have all of the packaging of my first phone so therefore the IMEI / PIN etc.  I have reported this to my provider (China Mobile) and I have a new account setup on my new device.

I have sent a bbm request to my old phone hoping to get some contact but my joy, I am asking friends who have my old PIN as a bbm contact to try the new 'owner' as well.  Is there any way I can find the mobile number of whoever is using my old phone so I can ring them? (I understand it may have been sold on but has only been 3 days since it was stolen/lost) or tracking the device? (I did not have any tracking software on the device at the time it was stolen).

One last question, as I have cancelled my old sim and setup a new account with my provider on a new device, I hope my old device will not receive any of my emails (and bbms?), if someone can confirm this I would be very grateful.

Many thanks,

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,923
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Tracking/finding number of a stolen/lost device

henrymacfarlane wrote:

Is there any way I can find the mobile number of whoever is using my old phone so I can ring them? (I understand it may have been sold on but has only been 3 days since it was stolen/lost) or tracking the device? (I did not have any tracking software on the device at the time it was stolen).

With no previously installed GPS tracking application, no, you cannot track it.

henrymacfarlane wrote:

One last question, as I have cancelled my old sim and setup a new account with my provider on a new device, I hope my old device will not receive any of my emails (and bbms?), if someone can confirm this I would be very grateful.

It won't receive any new emails, BBM messages, etc. Your old email on the device would be accessible if you didn't have a security password protecting it.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
togar
My Device: 9780

There were similar story here I heard. The owner bbm the device telling the guy that his device is stolen one and bluff him/her that he has installed tracking software in it and asked the guy to return it to a specific location. If not, he/she will be reported to authorities. The guy showed up and return it.
But, it will not always work but worth a try. Good luck!
your "thumb" would be appriciated if you find my post helpful
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
henrymacfarlane

Thank you for your help JSanders
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
henrymacfarlane

Many thanks togar, I will certainly give it a try.
Please use plain text.