Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

Super Contributor
00bunge00
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: Vodafone

Trackpad not scrolling up

Hi guys, recently my lock button at the top hasn't be working properly, it will lock, but then won't unlock until he 10th push. Also the trackpad sometimes does not scroll up, only left and right. Also some of my letter/number keys (all the ones under the trackpad) haven't been working the first time I press them! Also the camera button isn't working sometimes, it clicks to take, but doesn't do the first mini click to focus. And lastly my ALT button hasn't been working sometimes. I've done reboots and it doesn't help. The wierd thing is, all the problems are intermittent.
Please help!
Ben
Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Trackpad not scrolling up

Hello,

You say you've done reboots -- are those proper batt-pull reboots (power ON, remove battery)? If so, also try leaving the battery out for 10 minutes...makes no sense, but sometimes it helps. Otherwise, if things used to work OK, what happened before they started to go wrong? An update? A new app? Some other change? The smallest thing could be causal, so think carefully.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
00bunge00

Yeah, full batt pulls. I left it out for half an hour earlier and no luck. Nope. It was just on the table locked so I went to unlock it but it did nothing so took 10 tries. Its had no update, no new apps, nothing running in the background etc. The only thing is a silicone case/skin that I bought but that is very loose fitting so isn't tight on the phone.
Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Hmmm...very odd. Could be many things, including moisture intrusion. But to really diagnose would require hands on. You should probably take it to your carrier/authorized reseller for diagnosis.

Good luck!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
00bunge00

I bought it from Vodafone UK and their tech support is useless, they've released OS6, yet their senior tech support and their "qualified" Blackberry technicians haven't got a clue about it. I know more aboit OS6 and my devie more than them. I've checked the water detection marks and they are the right colours
Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,894
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Any odd keyboard behavior is routinely a sign of moisture problems... which doesn't mean it's been dunked in water or beer. Even sitting on a bathroom counter during a hot steamy shower or bath can cause keyboard and trackpad/trackball issues. EVEN if you say it's not this, you should the device time to dry out in a box of dry uncooked white rice. Afterall, what is I'm right in the long run... keeping what little big of moisture there could be trapped in the device could be a real problem the longer you wait.

It really is more common than you think.
1. Remove the battery immediately!! Do not attempt to turn on your BlackBerry.
2. Let the device dry in a warm, dry place for 3 to 5 days* (see below)
3. DO NOT "check it each day" by placing the battery in. Leave it be to dry completely. This takes time. Replacing the battery to check it can only damage it more (moisture + electrical current = disaster).
3. If the device is warm after the drying period, allow it to cool to room temperature before placing the battery back in.

*Suggestions on drying your BlackBerry in a warm place (open, with the battery out):

• Place the BB in a container of dry UNcooked rice, and then you might also place it in any of the locations mentioned below.

• On top of any dry heat emitting electronic component: TV cabinet or CRT, LCD, cable TV/Satellite converter box or plasma monitor

• On the dashboard of your car on a sunny day

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

OK. Then a clean OS reload is something to try, leaving off all 3rd party add ons to see if the behavior continues to present. If not, then it could be one of the 3rd party add-ons. Loading them slowly, giving enough time to be sure if the behavior presents or not before proceeding to the next one. It is also possible that none of them are causal and the OS is simply corrupt...which the reload will also cure. It's challenging to truly diagnose the root cause...sometimes, the fixes simply fix it without revealing the real cause.

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
00bunge00

Thanks guys, I'll try both ideas, the dry out and the reload and will report back in a couple of days.
Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,894
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

00bunge00 wrote:
I bought it from Vodafone UK and their tech support is useless, they've released OS6, yet their senior tech support and their "qualified" Blackberry technicians haven't got a clue about it. I know more aboit OS6 and my devie more than them. I've checked the water detection marks and they are the right colours

The "Liquid Damage Indicator" stickers have nothing at all to do with slight moisture problems. Those stickers won't be any different colour. Go by experience here, not color :smileywink:

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
00bunge00