Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
DigityDog
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9790
My Carrier: Rogers

Tried to update Bold 9790 to OS 7.1 but got error 507 message

Hey,

I tried to update my Bold 9790 from stock OS 7.0 to 7.1. I orignianally tried using Desktop Manager but it couldn't find an update. I then followed YouTube videos which said to download the OS from blackberries website and then use a program called Blackberry Swiss Army Knife to wipe it. As soon as I did that I got the Error 507 message. The instructions said not to worry and to continue. I then when to C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader and ran the Loader application but it didn't work because it said it couldn't find an OS. I have spent 4 hours on this and haven't found a solution. Someone please help me get out of this mess.

Thanks,

DigityDog

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Tried to update Bold 9790 to OS 7.1 but got error 507 message

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

If the OS package you are attempting to use is from a carrier other than that for which your BB was originally manufactured (as denoted by the VendorID code embedded into the BB firmware), then you need to delete, on your PC, any VENDOR.XML files that exist. There will for sure be one, in the same folder with LOADER.EXE. There may also be another, in the User/AppData hierarchy.

The existence of VENDOR.XML on the PC causes a cross-check against the VendorID embedded into the BB...if they do not match, then the result is as you experienced. If VENDOR.XML is deleted, the cross-check is bypassed, enabling you to use any carriers OS package.

Also, if you have more than one BB OS package installed to your PC, uninstall all but the one you wish to work with now. More than one installed to the PC can cause confusion.

You are almost there...I promise (I just reloaded my OS this morning doing exactly what you are attempting).

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
DigityDog

I deleted vender.xml file and I searched my whole computer for any other vender.xml files and there are none. I also deleated any other Blackberry OSs. It still isn't working. 

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

DigityDog wrote:

I deleted vender.xml file and I searched my whole computer for any other vender.xml files and there are none.

Where, exactly, did you find the one VENDOR.XML to delete? Searching, depending on how exactly you meant that (e.g., Search Tools or manually digging around) may or may not work. Sometimes, depending on your computer settings, the folder in which the file resides might be hidden, and you have to use advanced Windows Explorer options to ensure you can see hidden folders and thereby find the file to delete.

DigityDog wrote:

I also deleated any other Blackberry OSs. It still isn't working. 

In Windows Add/Remove Programs (or Uninstall a Program...it depends on your Windows OS), what exactly do you have installed that is BB related? Exactly please, including version numbers and all descriptive information.

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
DigityDog

I found the vendor.xml file where I the loader.exe. I searched via the search bar when you click star (Windows 7) and I have been searching manuely. I don't know how to search any other way. 

The only things that I have installed on the computer that are related to Blackberry are: Blackberry Desktop Softwere 7,  Blackberry Swiss Army Knife, and Blackberry Device Softwere for the Blackberry 9790 smartphone. I got the names off of uninstall or change a program.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

DigityDog wrote:

I found the vendor.xml file where I the loader.exe. I searched via the search bar when you click star (Windows 7) and I have been searching manuely. I don't know how to search any other way. 

The other Vendor.XML, if it exists, will be somewhere below here:

• c:\users\<your Windows UserName>\AppData\

Somewhere below that is where the other Vendor.XML will be, possibly here:

• c:\users\<your Windows UserName>\AppData\Roaming\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Loader XML\

DigityDog wrote:

The only things that I have installed on the computer that are related to Blackberry are: Blackberry Desktop Softwere 7,  Blackberry Swiss Army Knife, and Blackberry Device Softwere for the Blackberry 9790 smartphone. I got the names off of uninstall or change a program.

OK...that's good...no extra Device Software Package. So it's a matter of getting Loader to recognize the OS installed to your PC, which normally is a function of removing all copies of VENDOR.XML. Somewhere in the OS7 line, they added the second file...annoying.

Also, what is the exact error message when you attempt to run LOADER.EXE?

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.