Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
jamieingles1983
My Device: Not Specified

Trouble with WiFi on the Bold

Hi all, i am a bit of a Blackberry novice so forgive me if the problem i am having is very basic. I have set up a wi fi connection with my home network, and this shows up on my Blackberry bold, however, when i use the browser it connects using GPRS and not wifi. The other thing is if i turn gprs off and then try to use the internet browser it says that it cannot connect. So my question is, why when my Blackberry says it recognises a wi fi connection does it not appear to use it when operating the browser?

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,951
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Trouble with WiFi on the Bold

Greetings, and welcome to the BlackBerry.com Support Forums.

How do you know it is connection using GPRS, not the WiFi?

Is your WiFi connection actually connected? Do you show a bright white and black WiFi symbol in the upper corner?

wifi.jpg

Does your WiFi connection at Manage Connections show your WiFi network name?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
jamieingles1983

When im not in the browser, the wi fi symbol appears in the top right hand corner of the phone but it is a grey colour. On the same start up screen it says O2- UK- Sophie (the wireless network). In the manage connections screen the the Wi fi box is ticked, but there is a dash next to it, not a green tick, like with the Mobile network option above it. However when i go to set up wi fi network and scan for networks it shows up the wi fi connection and in brackets says (connected).

The only reason i think that the phone isnt using the wifi connection is because when using the browser it has GPRS in the top right corner, with no mention of Wi fi and it is really slow.

Please use plain text.
JSanders

You are not connected to WiFi, two indications, your greyish WiFi symbol and the green dash, which indicates that it does SEE the WiFi network, but is not connected. You might need to set it up again, and enter the password if required.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
Is3ng
My Device: Onyx

When on your browser. Press  menu once, then choose option => General Property. On the default browser switch it to Hotspot Browser save and you'll be using wifi for your connection :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
JSanders

Is3ng wrote:
When on your browser. Press  menu once, then choose option => General Property. On the default browser switch it to Hotspot Browser save and you'll be using wifi for your connection :smileyhappy:

Won't be if there is no connection to the WiFi network.

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
jamieingles1983

ls3ng- Thanks for the idea, ive tried what you said and now when using the browser it appears quicker and the wi fi logo is in the top right hand corner rather than GPRS or EDGE...

JSanders- Also thanks for the help, it appears ls3ng's idea has worked....though the wifi logo is in grey which you said means im not connected to wi fi?

SO, my question is...now my connection appears quicker, though the wi fi logo isnt in bright white, does that mean i am, or am not connected to the wi fi?

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
Is3ng
My Device: Onyx

Strange... It should be white and not grey. But if I'm not mistaken that's for bis service Are you ® to any data plan from you cellular operator?
Please use plain text.
JSanders

That actually means you are connected to the WiFi, then, but you don't have a BlackBerry data plan.

For instance, I have a Bold here with no SIM and no data plan, and I can connect to the WiFi in my home and office, and use the HotSpot browser, just fine.

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.